Paige Nazinitsky/Managing Editor

After hearing student complaints about crowding — particularly near power outlets — during finals week in the Glenn G. Bartle library, the Dean of Students has made classrooms available as study spaces.

According to Morgan Appel, program coordinator of the Dean of Students office, the “Relax and Re-charge” initiative came after Pipe Dream published a staff editorial titled “Overbooked” in Monday’s issue.

In the editorial, the writers called for more areas where students can go to study without fighting over power outlets.

“Students voiced a real concern regarding not having enough space to study and get done during finals week,” Appel wrote in an email. “Our Deans Team students brought this article to our attention as soon as it was published and we all got together to brainstorm a solution that could be put together in the next day or so.”

Classrooms in buildings all over campus, including the Fine Arts building, Academic A and the Science Library now have extended hours late into the night. Each classroom will be equipped with multiple surge protectors to give students the opportunity to keep their laptops and cellphones charged while they study.

The John Arthur Cafe also has extended hours from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

William Costa, a sophomore majoring in engineering, said that he thinks the new study spaces are a good idea.

“To be honest, I don’t really go to Bartle at this time of year because of how crowded it gets; I study in my building’s lounge,” he said. “But if I can leave my room and walk through the cold without worrying about whether or not I’ll be able to find a good spot to study, then I’m all for it.”

Appel said the issue of crowding at Bartle had not been brought to the attention of the Dean of Students office until now. However, she added that they have been conducting 3-question surveys of students in the library to see what they were stressed about, how they were coping and what the University can do to help.

“Students have written some things that we were totally unaware of and now know are the real issues,” she wrote.

Appel said  it will be a challenge to make all the changes, but  that the future is looking good.

“I’m hoping by Stress Free Spring during May finals we can have collected all of this great student input and effectively use it to inform our programs and services,” she wrote.