Binghamton University ranked fourth in The Princeton Review’s 2011 publication of the “Top 10 Best Value Public Colleges,” despite an economy and fiscal climate in which SUNY and BU have seen dramatic cuts in state funding.

The rankings, which were unveiled about a week ago, focus on academic criteria, cost of attendance and financial aid.

According to Robert Franek, the vice president and publisher of The Princeton Review, this change from being ranked sixth was perfectly warranted.

“This shift to the fourth position was well-deserved based on how aggressive Binghamton gives aid to the students,” Franek said. “Binghamton places a great deal of value on academic experience.”

The three schools ranked ahead of BU were, in order, the University of Virginia, New College of Florida and the University of Florida.

According to Franek, The Princeton Review understands how uneasy parents are about increasing tuition rates and their ability to pay for their children’s college education and wants to provide essential information to help them find the perfect school for each student.

“Among the 12,000 respondents to our 2010 ‘College Hopes & Worries Survey’ of college applicants and their parents, 86 percent told us financial aid would be very necessary to foot the bill,” Franek said. “For them and for all families seeking academically outstanding colleges that have been exceptional at meeting their students’ needs for financial aid, we’re pleased to … identify and recommend these 100 institutions as ‘Best Value’ colleges.”

According to BU Interim President C. Peter Magrath, this new boost in the school’s ranking says a lot about the University’s accessibility.

“I want the best students we can attract,” Magrath said. “I passionately care about accessibility. I want anybody who has been admitted because they’ve got the smarts to come to this University to have the financial support that they need.”

Magrath said he prides himself on the fact that BU is able to have one of the highest quality education systems in the country while also remaining affordable to most students.

“I don’t care if they are gazillionaires or if they are of low and moderate income,” Magrath said. “I want accessibility.”

Some students said cost was also a major factor in their decision to attend BU.

“As a transfer student from a private college, Binghamton’s combination of high academic standards and low cost made attendance here an easy choice for me,” said Alison Handy, a senior majoring in political science.

Brian Stoll, a senior majoring in human development, agreed.

“I chose Binghamton because of what I believe and was told you get the most bang for your college buck,” Stoll said.

According to Magrath, just 20 percent of the school’s income comes from the state, and the rest comes from outside resources, such as tuition and grants.

But he also added that if the state revenue is decreased, it may become hard to maintain the rankings.

“We’ve been cut and cut and cut like hell in the last three years,” Magrath said. “You can’t run a University without resources.”