Hillel at Binghamton’s Social Justice Initiative hosts “Unmasking the Mysteries of Mental Illness” Tuesday evening in Fine Arts Building. John Trompeter, from the Family and Children’s Society of Binghamton, spoke about addressing the stigma surrounding mental illness.

While mental illness is just that — an illness — the greater part of society is still unsure how to approach it.

John Trompeter, from the Family and Children’s Society of Binghamton, spoke about the stigma associated with mental illness and said he aimed to clear misconceptions about them.

Trompeter addressed different types of disorders and the effect mental illness has on students in his talk. About 30 students attended the event.

He explained that tossing around words like “crazy” and “bipolar” give mental disorders a negative connotation and often discourage people from talking openly about them.

According to Trompeter, the stigma is apparent even in families; parents are often ashamed to talk about their child having a mental disorder.

Maya Yair, a senior majoring in political science, said that this was one of the main reasons that Hillel’s Social Justice Initiative Leadership Team wanted to bring the issue to campus.

“Even with someone’s closest friends, because of the stigma, it won’t be spoken about,” Yair said.

Trompeter stressed the reality and severity of mental illness by relating it to physical sickness.

“I’m trying to advocate that mental illness should be treated the same as glaucoma or cancer,” he said.

When Trompeter asked the room how many students’ lives had been touched by mental illness many hands went up.

“I don’t think people realize how common it is,” said Alison Geoffrey, a freshman majoring in engineering. “Or at least they don’t take it seriously.”

Trompeter also spoke about the potential causes of mental illness and what can trigger symptoms.

“Any kind of trauma and anxiety can trigger that switch and then something can happen,” Trompeter said. “Before, [a person may have been] extremely bright, and now they can’t figure out how to work their ATM card.”

The effects of alcohol and drug abuse on mental health were also discussed.

“Alcohol, marijuana, PCP and meth can all do something to your brain that cannot be fixed,” Trompeter said. “The trigger can be that you went out and partied too hard.”

At the end of the presentation, Trompeter called up two volunteers for an example. He had the two students begin a detailed discussion about one of the student’s graduate work. Trompeter then whispered in the other student’s ear to demonstrate what it would be like to hear voices.

The student did not remember much from the conversation, and Trompeter used this to show how a mental disease like schizophrenia can create obstacles in everyday life.

“Can you imagine hearing something in your ear?” Trompeter said. “How are you supposed to do your studying?”

Trompeter urged students to take action if they knew someone that needed help.

“Don’t just let people be by themselves. You don’t need to rescue them, but talk to them. See what’s going on,” Trompeter said.

“It’s important to learn about these disorders, because for the first time, a lot of people are on their own,” said Christine Kearns, an undeclared freshman. “They don’t have their families who have known them for years to know when something is wrong.”

The discussion took place on Tuesday, Nov. 5 and was hosted by the Social Justice Initiative Leadership Team, an unofficial subgroup of Hillel created this year by Yair.

“We want to get people involved in different issues that are relevant, whether it’s locally in Binghamton or in the U.S. or internationally,” Yair said.

Mallory Hirschfeld, an undeclared sophomore, helped to organize the event.

“We hope that by learning about these issues, people will be able to recognize them and promote a happier environment,” Hirshfeld wrote in an email.