Dassie Hirschfield/Contributing Photographer Rainbow Pride Union, SHADES and the Equality Project handed out free cupcakes, pride bracelets and stickers in celebration of National Coming Out Day.

In the midst of school-spirited homecoming activities, students took the time to gather outside of the University Union to celebrate National Coming Out Day.

The Dean of Students Office organized Binghamton University’s first official National Coming Out Day celebration. Christine Quattro, a graduate student studying student affairs administration, planned the event to conclude last week’s Pride Week festivities, which symbolized support for all students regardless of sexual orientation.

With the help of Rainbow Pride Union, SHADES and the Equality Project, Quattro said that this is the first time National Coming Out Day has been celebrated at a large scale on campus. Quattro said previous Pride Week celebrations were mostly run by the Dean of Students Office; however, this year there was greater collaboration with students and student groups.

“We took on the effort of Pride Week while they took on National Coming Out Day,” said Donald Lodge, director of the Rainbow Pride Union.

At the event, students enjoyed free cupcakes, music, pride bracelets and stickers. The celebration carried on into the evening with a coming out story-sharing event.

“We wanted it to be more of a celebration than a rally,” Quattro said. “That’s why we brought in the cupcake idea. We really want to make it a positive celebration rather than a negative one of fighting against something.”

Paul Malinowski, a transfer from SUNY Oswego and an intern for the Dean of Students Office, said he believed that there isn’t enough awareness on campus about LGBTQ issues.

“The lack of understanding that we have this diversity is hindering Binghamton from becoming the number one public school,” said Malinowski, a senior majoring in history. “It’s kind of surprising to me that you want to be the number one school, but you want to be quiet about things.”

Malinowski explained that the LGBTQ communities in other schools, like SUNY Oswego, are more involved within their campuses. He said BU should move toward broadening the LGBTQ support networks on campus.

Erin Marulli, a graduate student studying student affairs administration, also attended SUNY Oswego as an undergraduate and commented on the lack of support for Pride Week at Binghamton compared to other schools.

“It’s good that they’re catching the eye of the people passing by and putting the cause out there, but I wish there was a little more attendance,” Marulli said.

Despite the criticism, Malinowski said the University is trying to establish a diversity department. Rainbow Pride Union plans to host Mary Lambert, a lesbian singer known for collaborating with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis on their song “Same Love,” to perform at BU on Nov. 12.

“Coming out of the closet can be very hard for a lot of people,” said Lodge, a senior double-majoring in political science and Chinese. “This is a celebration for when you came out or if you’re coming out today, and it’s exciting that you’re going to be a part of this new family.”

Aviva Friedman, president of the Equality Project and senior majoring in environmental studies, believes that the Dean of Students Office’s involvement will give the movement more legitimacy on campus.

“There’s a lot of apathy on campus, and we need to combat that,” Friedman said. “The fact that Dean Thompson is getting involved gives us an administrative back.”