Photo provided Campus Recreation employees tour the construction of the East Gym. The $13.5 million internal renovation is scheduled for completion in spring 2012.

The East Gym is scheduled to reopen in spring 2012, concluding an 18-month long renovation project that will transform the interior of the building.

FitSpace, the main exercise room, will expand by 10,000 square-feet from its prior dimensions, allowing for additional fitness equipment in the room. The new space will contain more than 60 new cardio machines, two circuit-training areas with over 30 stations and a larger area for free weight usage.

The building will also feature three renovated group exercise rooms, two classrooms, a new wellness suite — offering services such as massage and reflexology — relocated locker rooms, an Outdoor Pursuits equipment rental center, a refurbished court area and gym floor and upgraded central mechanical systems.

The renovation will cost $13.5 million. Funding for it has been allocated from Critical Maintenance funds that are part of the current SUNY Master Capital Plan, which are used for maintaining and upgrading buildings and infrastructure.

Membership fees will increase from the previous academic year cost at the East Gym of $120 to $180, and single memberships in group exercise classes will no longer be offered.

The East Gym will also offer a pre-opening membership rate of $75 for students registering for a spring 2012 semester membership. The offer will be available until Oct. 31, 2011.

According to Janice Bennett, associate director of Campus Recreation, funding limits kept plans for renovation to just the interior of the East Gym, rather than an expansion or replacement of the building.

“We have been able to capitalize on space, because the physical space has not expanded,” Bennett said. “We have redone the entire interior on the building. The inside is different but you can’t tell from the outside.”

She explained that the East Gym is the oldest building on the Binghamton University campus, and before the renovation began it could not meet needs for student programming.

“[The East Gym] was designed in a very different time when recreation played a different role in students’ lives,” Bennett said. “Now we’ll have a very nice state-of-the-art facility back on campus. It will be much better in terms of the environment and equipment.”

Holly Brown, assistant director of student development and operations at Campus Recreation, also said that the old facility’s accessibility to students was limited.

“There were many times throughout the evening hours that we had to enforce a one-out, one-in policy due to overcrowding,” Brown said. “Our maximum capacity in FitSpace was 100 patrons. [They] had to wait extended periods of time to use equipment. A larger space as well as more equipment will be available for the convenience of students and staff.”

Many students that work for Campus Recreation welcomed the planned-for changes.

“The new East Gym will offer something for every student,” said Kyle Tillman, a senior majoring in history who works as a fitness instructor. “I definitely think that students will be most excited about the amount of brand new fitness equipment that has been ordered.”

Holly Hibbard, a senior majoring in integrative neuroscience who works as a fitness instructor and personal trainer, said she thinks the renovations will create an improved workout environment and promote better health on campus.

“From the personal trainer side of things, there will be more that the personal trainers can do to help clients work toward their fitness goals,” Hibbard said. “This project was important for the University because our health is an extremely important part of our lives.”

However, not everyone is as excited about the East Gym’s reopening.

Elizabeth Wallin, a junior majoring in economics, said she does not plan to purchase membership at the East Gym in the spring.

“Planet Fitness is more affordable and convenient for my fitness schedule,” Wallin said, referring to a private gym located off campus. “The East Gym will not open ‘till spring semester and I don’t want to purchase two separate memberships for the academic year.”

Brown said she is confident that the new facility will draw new members.

“We think that once students are able to walk inside the Rec Center and see the completely renovated facility with all the new equipment, it will be a place that students want to come,” Brown said.