Binghamton University has submitted a proposal to the Challenge Grant Program, a performance-based education initiative spearheaded by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, to receive additional funding as a part of NYSUNY 2020 legislation.

The program invites the four SUNY University Centers located in Binghamton, Stony Brook, Buffalo and Albany to submit funding proposals to receive as much as $35 million each depending on the strength of the schools’ plans.

The program calls for the SUNY Centers to use this additional funding both to support their academic missions and to stimulate economic development in their communities and around New York State.

“For the first time in state history, the University Centers of SUNY have an opportunity to seize multiple-year funding to do what they do best — act as catalysts for a stronger, more competitive New York,” SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher stated.

The NYSUNY 2020 legislation calls for a raise in tuition annually during the next five years — by 30 percent in total for instate students and 10 percent annually for out-of-state students.

Cuomo stated in a press release that these measures will help make the SUNY system a tool to drive economic recovery in the state.

“New York State’s universities are the jewel of our state’s educational system, and with this bill the SUNY system will now be perfectly positioned to become the engine of economic growth across the state,” Cuomo stated. “The $140 million in new capital funding will build these schools into America’s leading institutions of research and innovation, while also creating jobs for New Yorkers and improving our state’s economic competitiveness.”

Binghamton University publicly announced the details of its proposal to receive Challenge Grant funding — $20 million of which would come from the state and $15 million of which would come from SUNY — on Aug. 1.

BU has proposed devoting $15 million of the Challenge Grant Program money to the Center of Excellence, a research and development organization for small scale systems, $18 million to constructing a new Health and Natural Science facility, and the remaining $2 million to support a new Southern Tier Economic Development Center in Binghamton.

A University press release stated that the funds will also spur expansions of BU’s undergraduate enrollment by 2,000 students and faculty by 150 positions over the next five years.

Binghamton University President C. Peter Magrath said he envisioned that the Health and Natural Science facility would advance BU’s science programs and research as well as increase its involvement and reputation in these areas.

“It will enhance and strengthen us to be even stronger in the areas that we have great strength in already and are part of our priorities,” he said.

The release also stated that necessary additional funding for these projects would come from multiple sources, including “corporate support, gifts to the University, additional tuition revenue and University cash reserves.”

According to Magrath, University officials put much time and effort into creating the proposal.

“In the recent months, I and my senior colleagues have worked hard on refining and adapting our plan to work on meeting our objectives,” Magrath said.

Gov. Cuomo has yet to give his final approval to award money for any of the SUNY Centers’ plans.

Magrath said he hopes the money will be distributed sometime in September, but does not know the exact date this will take place.