For the fourth straight year, Phi Kappa Psi fraternity is hosting the Steven Kovacs Walk Your Heart Out 5K.

The event is held in honor of Binghamton University alumnus Steven Kovacs ‘09, who died as a result of mixed drug toxicity and bronchial pneumonia shortly after graduation. Kovacs’ friends and family organized the walk, meant to raise awareness of drug abuse, in 2010.

Last year’s 5K drew nearly 200 registered participants, and Avneet Singh, a member of Phi Kappa Psi and one of the event’s organizers, is hoping for even more this year.

“We want to see at least 300 people show up to the run,” he wrote in an email. “We’ve been spreading awareness for the event by sending invitations to various student organizations in Binghamton University, such as clubs and other members of Greek life.”

Several Phi Kappa Psi members tabled outside the University Union, advertising the event and registering runners.

The race will start at the track by the East Gym and will lead into a trail in the nearby woods before finishing back by the track.

Participants who get to the event early will receive free T-shirts and wristbands. The individuals and teams with the fastest completion times will win awards.

Organizers said the 5K will be Binghamton University’s first-ever color run, with participants being able to run through colored powder as they proceed through the course.

Singh expects to see support from other Greek organizations at the run.

“I feel that it’s a great cause and Greek organizations in general could benefit greatly if we all cooperate more to make each others’ events successful,” he wrote.

The event’s organizers hope to raise at least $2,000 for the BU Institute for Child Development and Fairview Recovery Services.

The Kovacs family will also be in attendance at the event, as they have been every year.

“Joni, [his] mother, is the best,” Singh wrote. “She’s very involved in organizing the event and always gets amazing prizes to raffle.  Before the 5K starts she speaks to everybody who came out to remember Steven and then we do a memorial lap around the track.”