More than 300 people joined for a night of dance, comedy and music during the Korean-American Student Association’s (KASA) Korean Night.

The event, which was hosted Friday night in the Mandela Room, celebrated both traditional and contemporary elements of a dual Korean and American identity. This year’s event featured musical performances using traditional Korean harps and drums and dances by student groups DANCO and KASA MoDa.

There was also a guest appearance by internationally renowned choreographer and dancer Mike Song, best known for being a finalist in “America’s Best Dance Crew’s” Kaba Modern.

Jin Choi, a senior majoring in English who sang the Korean national anthem and performed in several dances, said she became involved in order to spread K-pop, which she said serves as a great outlet for spreading Korean culture.

“It grabs people’s attention, especially since ‘Gangnam Style’ became a huge hit,” Choi said.

Nicole Ly, who performed with KASA MoDa dance group, said Korean Night is a fun event that mixes Korean and American culture.

“I personally like to dance, but it opens a lot of doors for different people,” said Ly, a junior majoring in management.

Before each act, there was a video clip where the performers introduced themselves in Korean.

The event was emceed by Justin Yeung, who quickly admitted that he didn’t totally fit in.

“I have a confession to make,” he said. “I’m Chinese.”

Yeung proceeded to say that he regretted getting involved with KASA so late during his time at Binghamton and that he loves Korean food, music and women.

KASA received grants from alumni and the Asian Student Union to present the event.

The night raised nearly $3,000, which will go toward the mentorship program, in addition to other social events that KASA offers.

One student said the mentorship program brings Asian students who were adopted by American parents here in Binghamton to the event every semester and sets up workshops to enhance their understanding of the Korean culture.

Michelle Kim, the event’s publicity chair and a sophomore majoring in actuarial science, said the night was a success.

“I really think this year’s Korean Night was one of the best we’ve ever had,” Kim said. “We had amazing performances, and the guest performer was so great. The audience was the also at its best. It gave us performers and E-Board members another opportunity to realize the reason why we perform and pull a show together.”

Andres Kim, a sophomore majoring in economics, enjoyed Korean Night.

“There’s a lot of culture involved with different diversities, and it’s a great way to show the Korean culture,” he said.