Janel FitzSimmonds/Staff Photographer

The renovations to Jazzman’s Café in the Library Tower finished just in time for finals week, giving students who are studying in the Glenn G. Bartle Library an escape to a quick caffeine and snack fix.

After one year of planning and designing and an additional six months for construction, the new Jazzman’s is opening on schedule, according to Katrina Miner, Binghamton University’s Sodexo marketing manager.

Miner said she is pleased with the results of the new facility.

“It’s transformed the space into a customer-friendly oasis in the center of campus,” she said.

Some of the changes to the new café include a new traffic flow pattern, added ambiance to the library and three cash registers for speedy service and satisfaction, Miner said.

The new Jazzman’s will have a breakfast sandwich menu, as well as various new sandwiches and salads. It will also serve the same basic items as the other locations on campus.

Some students are excited about the opening of the new Jazzman’s and are impressed with the new layout.

“They have really delicious paninis and salads and a substantial amount of vegetarian options,” said Jenny Kornblatt, a sophomore in the Decker School of Nursing.

Part of the new renovations included restructuring the hallway closest to Jazzman’s going toward the Bartle library. The area now consists of tables, seats and outlets.

“It was an underutilized space; the addition of the booths and power for laptops or phones was to create a space for students to study and eat close to the library in comfort,” Miner said.

Students agreed with Miner’s assessment.

“In designing the new café it’s clear that they really examined what students want,” said Johanna Sanders, a sophomore majoring in political science and president of Dickinson Town Council. “It’s really going to be successful. There are bar stool seats and by each seat there is an outlet so you can charge your computer. The color scheme is beautiful and the layout is amazing.”

Evan Greenberg, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering, appreciated the renovations to the hallway.

“It’s definitely a major improvement from before from when you were shoving yourself into a window box,” he said.

The changes and layout were influenced by a variety of staff and students who are on the campus dining committees.

Sodexo employees are excited for the opening of the café, including Elaine Burke, a Sodexo employee who works at the register in the New University Union Food Court. She has been informing students about the cafe’s opening and encouraging them to visit.

Jazzman’s Cafe will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. It will also be open from 1 to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 1 to 8 p.m. Sundays.