Jonathan Heisler/ Photo Editor

The Osterhout Concert Theater was packed to capacity Sunday afternoon for the third annual TEDxBinghamtonUniversity conference.

The event, titled “Sex, Tech & Rock ‘N’ Roll,” drew an audience of roughly 1,200 and was part of a series of independently organized talks designed to bring together people from technology, entertainment and design.

Topics covered by the conference’s eight speakers ranged from the finding of the Higgs-Boson particle to the changing outlook society has on zombies. Each talk lasted about 20 minutes.

Leonard Simmons, executive director and founder of TEDxBinghamtonUniversity, considered the event a success as well as an improvement upon previous years.

“I was personally really happy with it,” said Simmons, and a senior double-majoring in philosophy, politics and law and political science. “We knew a lot of the mistakes we made last year and we were able to correct them and get a lot of great speakers.”

Simmons, who is graduating this semester, said that his departure will not affect future TEDx programming at Binghamton University.

“As far as managing goes, Stephen Prosperi, he’s going to be taking over as executive director,” Simmons said. “He’s a really charismatic guy and he’s been working with us for a while. He’s ready to take over.”

Beyond management, Simmons said that the combination of ticket sales and donations from the University will ensure continued TEDx programming.

“We were lucky enough to have sold as many tickets as we did, so we will be able to continue with an equally great event for next year,” Simmons said. “We were also lucky for the generous help given by the administration.”

BU President Harvey Stenger, who attended Sunday’s talks, spoke highly of the idea of TED talks.

“It focuses on important topics, presented by experts, and is popular,” Stenger said. “A great way for anyone to spend a Sunday afternoon.”