The Binghamton University Greek Life system is under review by a national, independent consulting service that develops recommendations to improve Greek systems as a whole.

The Fraternity and Sorority Coalition Assessment Project is a volunteer-based organization that sends experts to campuses around the nation to conduct in-depth investigations of Greek Life structure and policy. Upon the conclusion of their investigations, they submit extensive reports including their findings and solutions to perceived problems.

The coalition met with members of Greek Life, chapter presidents, non-Greek affiliated students and several administrators — including Brian Rose, vice president for student affairs, whom the final report will be submitted to. The assessors do not identify specific students they meet with to encourage participants to talk freely.

“One of things that happens in our report is we don’t identify who we’ve met with because we want people to feel free to share their opinions and their thoughts,” said Carrie Whitter, who is heading the team of assessors.

Although they will consider the past, team members said they will focus primarily on the present.

“Our goal is to take a snapshot of what the community is experiencing right now and what the community is providing and then provide a pathway to the next best place,” Whitter said.

The coalition only assesses campuses that invite them. The University is paying $8,000 plus travel and lodging expenses for the team to conduct their investigation.

Whitter said there is no national model for how Greek Life should look, and they shape their recommendations based on the specific campus’ needs.

According to Whitter, the team will focus on five elements of Greek Life: academic success, positive interpersonal relations, structure and infrastructure, leadership development and citizenship.

The Binghamton University Greek Life Review Team, headed by Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Lloyd Howe, will review the Coalition’s findings and recommendations. April Thompson, dean of students, said she intends to integrate the suggested solutions into campus policy.

The report is expected to be completed by the end of the year. Thompson said she will make the report public.