In coordination with the Great American Smokeout, a national movement to encourage people to quit smoking, Binghamton University’s Interdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Program (ITURP) hosted a screening of the film “Addiction Incorporated,” a movie featuring Victor DeNoble, a research professor that found a way to make cigarettes not addictive.

ITURP, a program that studies the methods and influences of tobacco use, handed out surveys asking people about their smoking habits, their gender, age and year in school. They also had questions asking students to agree or disagree with the notions that banning smoking on campus would improve learning for everyone, decrease secondhand smoke, and if they would be proud if Binghamton was a smoke-free campus.

Sarah Thompson, a lecturer in the health and wellness studies department and member of ITURP, said the group wanted to raise awareness about tobacco.

“This is the first real significant awareness event about tobacco and its addictiveness and how the companies are making it so harmful,” Thompson said. “We want to raise awareness about the addictive nature of tobacco and what the companies have done to addict the brain, essentially and how it influences health as well as giving resources to quit if you’re using tobacco.”

Binghamton University is one of the first universities to showcase this movie, according to Thompson.

“We are one of the first [universities], maybe the second university ever to show it, it’s been around in the health area but not in universities,” Thompson said. “It is unique to the university.”

“Addiction Incorporated” follows the story of DeNoble’s work over many years. He worked for Philip Morris Tobacco Company, who wanted him to find a new form of nicotine just as addictive but not as damaging to the heart, which he did. However, the company prevented him from publishing his findings and fired him. Eventually, the tobacco companies were investigated.

Thompson said the event was held to introduce students to the possibility of a SUNY-wide tobacco ban that was approved by the SUNY Board of Trustees over the summer.

“There is a mandate coming down from SUNY Central in 2014,” Thompson said. “Part of the reason we want to raise awareness is we don’t want it to be heavily handed down that you need to do this; it’s not illegal to refuse tobacco. We’re not sure what’s ahead of us but we’re trying to prepare to help people as best as possible.”

Joyce Rhodes-Keefe, a clinical faculty instructor and member of ITURP, said they planned the event in coordination with the Great American Smoke Out.

“The timing of the Great American Smoke Out is what influenced ITURP to have the movie and panel tonight, we thought it’d be more symbolic,” Keefe said.

Thompson said ITURP plans to potentially host an event featuring DeNoble.

“The big push we’re working on for next year is to showcase Dr. DeNoble, who is showcased in the movie,” Thompson said. “Dr. DeNoble really tailors his presentations to his audience, he is really approachable, believable and understandable.”

The film screening was followed by a panel discussion where audience members had the opportunity to ask experts questions they had about the movie or comment on the movie.

Tyler Miller, a sophomore majoring in economics, said the film was interesting.

“It was an interesting look into the inner workings of the tobacco industry and the kinds of social reform that is possible,” Miller said.

Julie Heninger, a sophomore majoring in biology, said the film was informative.

“It gave me a new perspective about tobacco companies, and I learned a lot of scientific information about cigarettes that I didn’t know about,” Heninger said.