This past Monday, Binghamton University’s Black Student Union (BSU) held a march and discussion in celebration of Black Solidarity Day.

In celebration of the holiday, BSU held a collaborative event — “Lift Every Voice: Thriving in Black Joy” — on Nov. 7 in the Mandela Room. Attendees were asked to wear all black, as the theme of the event was unification, and the chairs were all organized into one large circle to aid in the feeling of connectedness, according to Taylor Chance, BSU’s political correspondent and a sophomore majoring in biochemistry.

The event was held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and began with several of BU’s Black organizations tabling and promoting their clubs’ missions. The event’s program then commenced, with several performances followed by a discussion.

During the discussion portion, Chance detailed the importance of observing Black Solidarity Day, which she described as a day for “Black people to emphasize their political and economical strength.”

“It is a day meant to also honor our Black heroes and remember our martyrs due to the harms of police brutality,” Chance wrote in an email. “Black Solidarity Day (BSD) was strategically put on the Monday before Election day, to remind Black people of the power we hold together and that our voices matter. This is important to increase Black voters because oftentimes Black people feel like their vote is not important and does not have any effect on elections. BSD is a day to counteract that notion and assert that our voices matter and that it is important for them to be heard.”

Black Solidarity Day was established by activist and educator Carlos Russell in 1969 to highlight racial imbalances and social discrimination toward Black people in America. On this day, Russell wanted Black people to take a break from all commercial practices — including work and school — in order to emphasize Black people’s influence and contributions to society. It is now observed on the first Monday of November each year around the country.

Chance and other E-Board members then opened the floor to attendees, asking questions regarding their views on Black joy, stereotypes, self-care and more. Saniah Antoine, a sophomore majoring in psychology, described what she feels Black joy is — and why it can be weaponized.

”Black joy to me is the line dances we all grew up to like the cupid shuffle,” Antoine wrote in an email. “It’s the references that only we understand either from hearing our parents say it or [in] Black TV shows and movies. It’s these things that bring us together that define Black joy for me. It’s important that we come together to remind each other that we are not alone. Regardless of the trauma placed upon us, we should never forget to keep our joy in our lives and hearts.”

Solidarity was a focus of the event, and many spoke about why solidarity and moments of togetherness with other Black students on campus were important to them. Ceian Thomas, a senior majoring in mathematics, was one of these students.

”Solidarity among the Black students at [BU] is very important because it allows these individuals potential outlets for Black folks to share their trials and tribulations with one another, and through that discourse, find something in common among people who really look like them,” Thomas wrote in an email. ”I feel that college makes it a priority that everyone must focus on themselves, and as a result, that prevents one from creating long-lasting relationships, especially with others that not only look like me, but go through similar struggles to me.”

The event then closed with a march around campus. All attendees held a black flag with the name of a Black person who died at the hands of someone who was not a Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) individual. The Spine was also decorated with black flags, which represented the event’s Black Solidarity Day memorial. T

The group played music during the walk and took breaks to recite chants such as “Black Jubilation is our creation,” “Black Joy Matters,” “Black Lives Matter,” “LGBT, We demand equality,” “No Justice No Peace” and more.

BSU holds several events throughout the year to promote Black unity on campus, according to Chance — including their fashion and hair show, the Black Museum and programming for Black History Month.

“One of the best ways we cultivate solidarity is by having our BSU Lounge open to Black students any time they need to do homework, take a nap or congregate,” Chance wrote in an email. “Located in the [University] Union [Room B006], this lounge is a safe space, and it’s my favorite way we build community and solidarity.”