Tom Quiter is the Libertarian candidate for New York’s 52nd district in the New York State Senate. Quiter is a disability rights advocate — himself afflicted with osteogenesis imperfecta type III, a rare genetic disorder that causes increased bone fragility resulting in increased susceptibility to bone fractures. He is also campaigning to help small businesses and farmers while addressing issues in the welfare system. He is currently a board member of the Catskill Center for Independence.

1. What do you see as the biggest concerns of people in this district? How do you propose to address those concerns?

“The biggest concern of residents of my district is the current state of our local economy. So many of our communities are struggling due to a number of reasons. I believe that good policy, which puts more power into the hands of the people, is the solution to these problems — not more government overreach.”

2. What is your plan to address the high rates of unemployment and homelessness in this district?

“To address unemployment, we need to unshackle small businesses, removing barriers to entry into the workforce. We must work against unfunded mandates, which will in turn lower the cost of living. The anti-homeless sentiment across the board is extremely unfortunate, as it can happen to anyone. People in need should not be treated like criminals under any circumstances.”

3. Across the nation, people are having conversations about systemic racism, especially in the criminal justice system. Broome County has received attention for its high incarceration rate, which disproportionately affects Black people. How would you address this as well as reported mistreatment and medical malpractice at the Broome County Jail?

“Right now, criminal justice reform is being demanded by folks all over the nation. First of all, we need to end victimless crimes. One of the driving forces of high incarceration rates among marginalized communities is due to marijuana possession. The criminalization of Black Americans due to our racist policies perpetuated by the system needs to be put to an end. I advocate for the full decriminalization of recreational cannabis, transparency of jail conduct records and an overhaul of police training.”

4. Given the issues Broome County has faced with COVID-19, how do you plan to keep the people of the district safe while addressing the economic hardships the pandemic has caused?

“I would advocate for advising the public over punishing the public. Those who have less have greater reasons for needing to go out to work and should not be penalized for trying to survive. By allowing the free markets to provide [personal protective equipment], such as allowing distilleries to make hand sanitizer or manufacturers who offered to make ventilators, it would be a quicker and more effective response than what [New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo] decided to do.”

5. How do you plan to communicate with the people in your district?

“I plan to communicate with the people in my district the same way I have been. By getting out there, reaching out to those in need — everyone from small businesses to individuals and organizations. I plan to allow for a properly staffed communication line that goes directly to my office, if elected. I would also work the full 12 months, using the 6 months not in session to travel and meet more of my constituents.”

6. Why should students and young people across New York vote for you?

“Today always sets the course for the future, and it is always today. Young people are our future, and what we do today affects them tomorrow. Some of my best campaign staff are young people, both in and out of college. I know that the education system is a topic that is near and dear to many students, so I propose a more individualized education plan because this cookie-cutter system known as [the Common Core State Standards Initiative] is not well liked by both teachers and students. Curriculum [decisions need] to stop being made by people who have never set foot in a classroom. I love seeing young people getting involved in their communities because, as our vice presidential candidate [Jeremy] ‘Spike’ Cohen says, ‘You are the power.’”