Karl Bernhardsen, ’14, is the Republican candidate for Broome County Executive. He had previously served as a legislator for the 13th district from 2015 to 2016.

1. What do you see as the biggest concerns of people in Broome County? How do you propose to address those concerns?

“The most immediate concerns facing the people of Broome County are the health and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. I will work to ensure that county health officials are prepared and properly funded in order to carry out their tasks. I will keep close ties with our employers large and small to ensure there are no surprise closures, and aid is provided before catastrophe strikes. I will make sure that opportunities for those in financial crisis are well promoted and expanded where needed. Thinking long term, we are facing the effects of having long-neglected institutions in need of change and strategic planning. Our county-run nursing home was facing staffing and infrastructure problems before the pandemic made them worse. Our airport was already at a serious disadvantage before the near collapse of the airline industry. These are just two of the most obvious examples. The problem is endemic. I will not continue to kick the can down the road on difficult long-standing issues. And, perhaps most importantly, I will focus on realistic budgeting so that we can make better assessment of what change is needed. This will be the start of a very long process, but there can be no recovery without it.”

2. Given the issues Broome County has faced with COVID-19, how do you plan to combat the issue?

“While the guidelines for addressing the pandemic are set by the state, most of the policies are carried out by county agencies and officials. The best way for us to react to the multifaceted crisis caused by the pandemic is maintain and support all our county departments. This is not just a health crisis — it affects economic stability, housing, homelessness, mental health, transportation and so many other areas of life served and aided by county departments. This is why I am so dismayed to see a proposed budget which relies heavily on leaving critical positions unfilled to make ends meet.”

3. What should be prioritized in the county budget?

“We now exist in an unstable budgeting world. Revenues are dramatically down across every line. Sales tax is largely unpredictable due to the economic toll of the COVID-19 pandemic. State and federal funding are becoming increasingly unreliable. A budget must prioritize sustainability and a realistic assessment of revenues. Each year’s budget must work toward making Broome County less dependent on volatile funding sources. We cannot keep inflating revenue projections, relying on unfilled positions and borrowing to provide the illusion of a balanced budget. And a budget certainly should not include political gimmicks, like this year’s proposal to include a tax cut while cutting jobs and taking on debt.”

4. How do you plan on addressing a lack of diversity in appointed county positions?

“The [Broome] County executive directly appoints dozens of positions, and it is paramount that a wide net is cast when making those hiring decisions. Far too often appointments are handed out to former colleagues and political supporters. I will reach out beyond that network to ensure available positions are better advertised and made known to a wider community. This will yield both a more competent pool of applicants and a wider range of diversity among them.”

5. How will you communicate with the people in Broome County?

“Communication between elected officials and their constituents is key. I have always preferred the face-to-face interactions provided by town halls and meet and greets. However, the current COVID-19 pandemic has made that all but impossible for the foreseeable future. There will have to be a reliance on both small- and large-scale online meetings, phone calls and video content. Traditional print, television and radio media will continue to play a role in more informational announcements.”

6. Why should students and young people across Broome County vote for you?

“There has been almost no long-term planning in county government. This has left us with an array of poorly structured departments and legacy institutions. We needed long-term strategies for these institutions years ago, and it is unacceptable that reform and restructuring efforts were not begun in the budget proposal this year given the harsh light [shining] on them by the effects of the pandemic. If we do not act now, there will be irreversible harm and young people will have the longest time to suffer from that failure. I intend to make the tough changes needed to keep county government functioning well into the future. Also, many young people and students have been at the forefront of many of the recent calls for social justice and reform. [Broome County Executive] Jason Garnar has repeatedly failed to address those raising concerns. I will maintain an open dialogue. People should not need to protest to feel heard by their county executive.”