There is an ongoing overdose crisis in Broome County — and not just for opioids, but for all kinds of drug classifications, including cocaine, methamphetamine and counterfeit pills laced with fentanyl.

As a result, fatal overdoses are occurring in situations in which there typically wouldn’t be the presence of an opioid. Marissa Knapp, the opioid overdose prevention coordinator at the Broome County Health Department, recommends that students be aware of the risks and resources in Binghamton and in Broome County, and for students who use drugs recreationally to be trained in administering Narcan and carry a Narcan kit.

Below is an updated list of drug and addiction resources for Binghamton University students on and off campus.

ON CAMPUS:

Decker Student Health Services Center

4400 Vestal Pkwy. E., Vestal, New York 13850

(607) 777-2221 or bdoughty@binghamton.edu

Through the Opioid Research Center for Central New York (ORCC-NY), Decker Student Health Services Center has an Opioid Overdose Prevention Program, where students can be trained on how to use and administer naloxone, or Narcan kits, as well as receive Narcan kits once they have been trained. Those who would like to request training or have any additional questions can contact Bennett Doughty, program director and a clinical assistant professor of pharmacy practice.

The Office of Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs (ATOD)

Room 357, Old O’Connor Hall

lreynold@binghamton.edu or 607-777-3088

The ATOD office, headed by Linda Reynolds, the college prevention coordinator, works with students individually and creates campus-wide programming to “[empower BU] students to make healthy lifestyle choices surrounding substance use,” according to its website. The office also provides services such as eCHECKUP TO GO, an online prevention tool for students to take alcohol, cannabis or nicotine assessments. In addition, the office provides alcohol screenings and intervention, cannabis screening and intervention, environmental management, recovery resources and more.

Binghamton Student Managed Adderall Research Team (B-SMART)

lina@binghamton.edu

B-SMART is a research and educational student-run group that consists of health and wellness studies students aimed to understand the study-drug epidemic on college campuses. According to the group’s “About” page, they have “collected and analyzed data on Adderall (an amphetamine-based drug typically prescribed to individuals with ADHD) abuse on college campuses” and continue to hold educational seminars, classroom visits, discussions and more to promote awareness on misuse of the drug. B-SMART is holding its eighth semiannual seminar on April 25, which will promote awareness about the dangers of study-drug abuse before finals week. For additional information, contact Lina Begdache, mentor of B-SMART and an assistant professor of health and wellness studies.

OFF-CAMPUS:

United Health Services (UHS) Vestal

4417 Vestal Pkwy. E., Vestal, New York 13850

(607) 762-2622

UHS Vestal provides free overdose prevention training and Narcan kits to anyone in need. Those interested can call Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to receive Narcan training over the phone, with contact-free pickups of Narcan kits offered.

Truth Pharm

49 Pine St., Suite 6, Binghamton NY 13901

607-296-3016

Truth Pharm is a local Southern Tier based organization that attempts to take action, educate and advocate for those impacted by substance use. The group is an anti-harm, not anti-drug, organization that advocates for harm reduction through raising awareness and reducing the stigma of substance misuse. Truth Pharm also provides materials such as fentanyl test strips.

Southern Tier AIDS Program (STAP)

22 Riverside Dr., Binghamton, NY 13901

(607) 798-1706 or hotline at (800) 333-0892

STAP offers a variety of resources such as HIV, Hepatitis C or sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing. The program provides fentanyl test strips and has a syringe exchange program for injection drug users to exchange new sterile syringes for used syringes to reduce the risk of infection with HIV, Hepatitis C and other blood-borne illnesses. The Riverside Drive location is its main office, but STAP has multiple locations throughout the Southern Tier — all of which can be found here.

Dial 211

In New York state, calling 211 will direct callers to local resources. Callers will be placed on the line with a person who can help direct them to substance misuse resources and help direct them on how to find materials such as fentanyl test strips.

Addiction Center of Broome County (ACBC)

30 W. State St., Binghamton, NY 13901

(607) 723-7308

ACBC offers a variety of services, such as psychiatric evaluations, outpatient clinic and rehabilitation, family navigation and more. The center also has locations in Endicott and Norwich.