The American Civic Association Memorial Committee used its Web site to unveil the finalized design of the memorial to commemorate the lives lost in the April 3 shooting.

Although the design plans are finalized, construction won’t start until the $150,000 needed to build the memorial is raised.

In late March, Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan announced the opening of a trust fund dedicated to the ACA memorial. The fund was open to contributions from all sources, individual and corporate alike.

Many local residents have already donated to the fund, raising the total to $12,000.

David Marsland, chairman of the ACA Memorial Committee, stated that construction cannot begin until all of the funds have been collected.

“It doesn’t have to be a huge donation,” Marsland said. “If every SUNY Binghamton student donated $5, that alone would cover a third of the cost.”

Thirteen people, including two BU scholars, the mother of a recent graduate and many immigrants taking classes toward citizenship, were killed when 41-year-old Jiverly Wong opened fire April 3, 2009 at the American Civic Association on Front Street. Wong then took his own life.

The memorial will consist of a nine-sided broken granite column in the middle of a small circular garden of dwarf evergreens. The broken column, in this case, symbolizes a life cut short. On the base of the column will be 13 small plaques displaying the names of the victims and some information about individual stories. Each side of the pillar will display an anti-violence message in the nine separate native languages of the victims.

In addition to the pillar, 13 abstract glass sculptures of birds will be set in a circular formation around the plant bed. The birds will be held 14 feet in the air with metal tubing, inside of which will be fiber optic cables to make the bird sculptures visible at night.

The memorial will be built on the intersections of Front and Clinton streets in Downtown Binghamton.

Pictures and videos projecting the final memorial design can be viewed at the ACA Memorial Committee’s Web site, www.acamemorial.com.

Donations can be made out to city of Binghamton, 38 Hawley St., Binghamton, NY 13901, with “ACA Memorial Park Fund” indicated in the memo line of the check or other form of donation.