Manu Ginobili — How dare you leave him off the All-Star team! Manu was unofficially the best player in the Association in this past shortened pre-All-Star Game week. After coming just two points shy of his career high in points, and setting his career high in 3-pointers made (46 pts, eight 3’s at Cleveland Feb. 13) and rebounds (15 at Toronto Feb. 11), the Argentinean’s fantasy owners are livin’ large. Other than the ASG omission, there was no particular reason why Manu should have played so well. Expect Manu to come back down to earth and give you what he has been all season (which, by the way, has not been too shabby).

Jose Calderon* — So much for the return of T.J. Ford diminishing Calderon’s productivity. Jose and his owners are enjoying his best month ever. His FG percent, especially for a point guard, is simply insane (71 percent). His assist-to-turnover ration is even crazier (5.3:1). That being said, now may be the perfect time to get rid of him. Do not give him away, though if you are able to get currently equal value (somewhere around Jason Terry, Andre Miller or even Chauncey Billups), then try to get a deal done. TJ won’t be a non-factor forever.

Rafer Alston — Yet again, I’ll mention Rafer as one of the most underappreciated fantasy players in the business. With his paltry 39.8 percent field goal conversion rate he won’t win you FG percent in a given week, though his assist, steal and 3-point numbers are enough to help you get the edge over your opponent. Rafer will continue to be Rafer, so continue to enjoy his production if he’s on your team, and if he’s a free agent (which he should no longer be in any respectable fantasy b-ball league), pick him up.

Al Thornton — A few NBA veterans who trained with Al over the summer predicted that Thornton would win the Rookie of the Year award over Kevin Durant. These claims looked ridiculous up until a couple of weeks ago. Now Thornton is finally living up to the potential that his fellow ballers saw. He’s a one-trick pony (actually two tricks — pts and rebs, but you get the point), but he is talented enough to play big minutes and eventually increase his steals and blocks-per-game numbers, the sum of which sadly does not add up to one.

Monta Ellis — Mon-tay has stopped shooting 3’s (almost literally — just one attempt in his last six games) though it has led to an overall quantum leap in production. Through five games in February, the high-flying lightweight is nine points over his average of 19 ppg and has been shooting lights out, converting a whopping 70 percent of his attempts. Ellis is on a hot streak, so see if you can find some chump who thinks Monta will keep it up for the rest of the season.

Mike Bibby — Of the Atlanta Hawks?! In terms of Atlanta’s chances of winning games, having Josh Smith swat away every opponent’s feeble attempts of shooting over him should be a big help to the defensively-inept Bibby. Joe Johnson doesn’t keep his man on lock either, though the Hawk’s frontcourt is defensively average at worst. Anyway, I mention all of this fantasy-irrelevant jabber about the Atlanta Hawks for one reason: Atlanta could make the playoffs this season! Yes, the NBA playoffs, where the Hawks haven’t been in nine (-thousand) years, and where Mike Bibby thrives (see 2002 third round series vs. LAL). Bibby’s regular season numbers should be similar to what you’d expect: 15 points, two 3’s, 5.5 assists, 42 FG percents at worst.

Dear Drew,

I want to thank you for your advice during this season. My question concerns players who are probably free agents in most leagues. I’ve had Greg Oden on my roster for the entire season, purely for sentimental purposes. However, my team is still stuck in fifth place in my ten-team roto league. I’m looking to drop Gurg. Which big men do you think might step up their performances during the stretch run of the season and give my team a needed boost?

Thanks,

Joseph

Glad I’ve been able to help your team compete, Joseph. As for contributing big men that are likely free agents, take a long, hard look at Nazr Mohammed. He’ll be the starting center in Charlotte for the foreseeable future and is capable of posting helpful numbers with play time. Other guys to keep an eye on are Erick Dampier (if the J-Kidd trade ever goes through), Andray Blatche, Nenad Krstic (monitor his health) and Elton Brand, who may be returning sometime in March. All of these guys will be inconsistent, though that is why they are free agents in the first place.

*All numbers listed in parentheses are averages in February, not for the year.