The first week of the 2007-2008 fantasy season has officially come to an end. Do not freak out if the number of field goal attempts by your first and second round picks equals their field goal percentage (yes, you, Gilbert and Vince owners), and most important, take advantage of those who do! Buy low and sell high. Perhaps you should think about shipping some of the following players out to a fantasy manager who has already given up on his underachieving stars such as Arenas and Carter.

Fantasy Fake or For Real?:

Hedo Turkoglu ‘ Hedo might be a tad bit inconsistent as the season pushes forward, but that is neither here nor there. If he were to continue at his current rate of production for the entire year, he’d be a top-20 fantasy player. He will be a strong source of points, threes and rebounds.

Mike Dunleavy ‘ As soon as this gets published, there is a decent chance Dunleavy will start putting up doughnuts in all categories besides turnovers and field goal attempts. Of course I type in hyperbole, though he has committed similar fantasy sins in previous seasons; a few great games followed by an entire season of ‘this guy wouldn’t even be in the league if his dad wasn’t a coach’ performances. Let it be known that Dunleavy does have my vote of confidence this season and he is primed for a big year as the starting shooting guard on a depleted Pacers team.

John Salmons ‘ I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that John Salmons was not a top-100 pick in your fantasy draft, though thus far he has outplayed the majority of the guys picked ahead of him. Don’t worry about the return of Ron Artest five games from now, it won’t have much of an effect on Salmons since he will still see a lot of minutes at the point. Milk him for all he’s worth until Mike Bibby comes back in about 10 weeks, and then sell high.

Chris Kaman ‘ I am ashamed I kept him off my preseason sleeper list. The hyperactive hillbilly kept the Halloween spirit alive in his season debut, as he was an absolute monster on the block for the Clippers. He may not be the prettiest thing on two legs, but he can help your team, especially since Westchester County’s own Elton Brand returns to action in ‘ well nobody knows.

Damien Wilkins ‘ The son of the lesser of the two Wilkinses (Gerald, not Dominque) had produced in previous years whenever he got time. His main problem was that he was behind Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis in the depth chart. Seattle’s two ex-stars are long gone which spells oodles of P.T. for Damien. He should continue to be a good source of points, rebounds and steals.

Richard Jefferson ‘ ‘I’m only 27 ‘ I’m just coming into my prime, if you combine ability with experience. I’m looking forward to probably my best three or four years.’ ‘Nuff said.

Let’s take a moment and reflect ‘

Last week I listed my sleepers for the upcoming season. I would say that I went 4/6, leaving out Ron Artest because he has yet to play a game. Walter Herrmann, to this point in the season, I was just dead wrong about ‘ ‘Fabio’s stunt double’ hasn’t been getting any burn. I will reserve judgment on Andrew Bynum. Richard Jefferson, Mike Dunleavy, Udonis Haslem and Corey Maggette have all been playing well. Of my ‘guys to keep an eye on,’ Reggie Evans, Martell Webster, Ronnie Brewer and arguably Kyle Lowry (I just picked him up in my league for Herrmann) have already begun making their mark on the 2007-2008 fantasy season. The only real surprise has been Corey Brewer, who has not been on the floor enough to put up big numbers.

Reader question:

Readers, don’t be bashful about sending me your fantasy basketball questions at dwolin1@binghamton.edu! Here is a question I received last week:

I was offered Ron Artest and Tony Parker for Steve Nash and Randolph Morris. Should I do it? ‘Big Sherm, aka the Sherminator.

Artest will be playing for his next contract this year. If nothing else can get him to behave, the money should. Tony Parker is not on the same tier as Steve Nash, though he is one of the best point guards in the league. Steve Nash will still be a great fantasy player this year, though he is not quite the sure thing he was a season ago. Generally, I am not a fan of 2-for-1 deals where I am receiving the two players, but if the free agent pool in your league is weak (is Randolph Morris really the best you could do?), then go for it, Sherm.