Eric Jackson/Staff Photographer

While most students were relaxing at home this past winter break, the Binghamton University men’s basketball team (12-7 overall) was busy climbing its way to the top of the America East conference standings. The team, which is currently 5-2 in conference play, went on a school-record six-game winning streak along the way. The Bearcats currently share first place in the conference with Boston University and Vermont.

“We won some solid games during the road,” said Binghamton head coach Kevin Broadus. “Playing the big games and winning them is a good thing, and it was just solid play all around.”

The Bearcats started the winter break on the wrong foot after being defeated by the Manhattan Jaspers, who converted five of six free throws in the final 49 seconds of the game to seal the win. Despite the loss, the Bearcats shot 50 percent from the field, with D.J. Rivera leading the team with 23 points on only 12 field goal attempts.

The Bearcats then played and defeated Rider University, 69-58, which marked the start of their six-game win streak. Rivera scored 17 of his 22 points in the second half to push the Bearcats past the Broncs. Justin Thompson, whose brother, Jason Thompson, is a rookie with the Sacramento Kings of the NBA, led the Broncs with 25 points.

Rivera outdid himself again against Tulane and did the majority of his damage in the second half yet again by scoring 22 of his 24 points after intermission. Junior guard Malik Alvin contributed 14 points, six assists and five steals for the Bearcats. The game was not quite as close as the 74-73 final score would suggest, as Tulane’s Kevin Sims hit a 3-point shot at the buzzer.

The Bearcats continued to roll in their non-conference path, defeating Marist, 73-71. Senior forward Reggie Fuller stole the show, contributing 16 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks. The Bearcats’ victory was secured with two steals in the final 17 seconds of the game. R.J. Hall helped the Marist Red Foxes to the tune of 20 in only 26 minutes of play.

“We played with confidence,” Broadus said. “Those were not easy games and we knew we had to push hard. By that time I could see that our team was definitely coming together. We needed to do this if we wanted to do well in the [America East] conference games.”

Binghamton opened the conference games with a victory, rolling past the Maine Black Bears, 70-62. Rivera had a team-high 24 points in 39 minutes, while junior guard Emanuel “Tiki” Mayben produced 10 points, six assists and two steals in 36 minutes.

The Bearcats next defeated Stony Brook, 67-60; five Bearcats — Rivera, senior Dwayne Jackson, junior Chretien Lukusa, Mayben and Fuller — scored in double figures.

In the 2008 America East Championships the Bearcats lost their run for the title in the first round against Vermont. They definitely made sure history would not repeat itself as they defeated the Catamounts, 91-83, in overtime. Rivera contributed 12 rebounds and six steals and scored eight of his game-high 29 points in overtime to help Binghamton win this statement game against its conference foe. The Bearcats also held reigning Conference Player of the Year Marqus Blakely to just 12 points in 44 minutes of action. The Catamounts converted on only two of 12 shots in the extra period. This game capped Binghamton’s school record six-game winning streak.

After falling to Binghamton earlier in the season, the Utah Valley Wolverines had revenge on its non-conference opponent, 80-70. The Bearcats were out-rebounded, 38-15, and shot a sub par 50 percent from the free throw line. Mayben converted on both of his free throws and led the Bearcats with 17 points, including three 3-pointers.

Troubles continued again for the Bearcats at Albany, where free throws proved to be the Bearcats’ Achilles’ heel. The team shot only 48 percent from the charity stripe, which contributed to the 66-72 loss. The Bearcats lost a close game to a very physical Albany Great Danes squad, which was led by 21, 20 and 18 points by guard Anthony Raffa, guard Tim Ambrose and forward Will Harris, respectively. Rivera had 16 points and three steals, but converted on only one of seven free throws.

Canines seemed to be what scared the ‘Cats as the sharp-shooting Boston University Terriers converted on 11 of 23 3-pointers and 51 percent of their field goals to take the game, 64-81. Reigning America East Freshman of the Year John Holland scored 29 points in the contest. Four Bearcats reached double figures.

Something must have clicked into place, because the Bearcats got back on track with a victory at home against conference opponent University of Hartford, 66-59. Rivera, Alvin and Mayben all came off of the bench in the contest, but they ended up leading the team with 24, 16 and 10 points, respectively. Mayben also contributed six assists and two steals, while Alvin dished out five assists.

The final game of the winter break ended on a toasty note as the Bearcats defeated the New Hampshire Wildcats, 60-47. Alvin was the only Bearcat to score in double figures in the game, with 22 points on only 13 field goal attempts.

Now the Bearcats must continue their spectacular show of talent in the remaining contests, which are all conference games.

“The fact that all our players know the comfort of a win as part of a group effort is a big thing,” Broadus said. “That’s how you get better and better every day. I’m very glad everyone is coming together and taking leadership.”

Broadus also mentioned there were a few things that the team needed to work on; however, he said that it should all come together in the end.

“I would like to see some improvement on offensive and defensive rebounding,” he said. “We’ve got to keep on telling ourselves to be better every day.”

-Cyril Cheriyan contributed to this article