Maybe they were just trying to save their coach some money …

In a game where Binghamton University head coach Kevin Broadus was said to be donating $2 to the American Cancer Society for every basket scored by his team, the Bearcats would not stop launching from long range. Not that this is the first time we’ve seen this trigger-happy style of play from the team. In fact, we have come to expect it. The difference in Sunday’s game against the New Hampshire Wildcats is that the Bearcats converted on a disgusting 6-29, or 20.7 percent, of their 3-pointers. However, you will read later how a couple of missed threes by the Bearcats may have actually won the Bearcats the game.

Just a couple of minutes into the game, the athletic advantage which the Bearcats held over their opponents became all too evident — to the fans and, apparently, to the players. The Bearcats were able to start the game by forcing six turnovers in as many minutes against the Wildcats, whose confidence was as low as the reading on the thermometer outside. After building a 20-10 lead with 12:20 left to play in the first half, the Bearcat players appeared to lose interest in the game, and therefore lost their focus and momentum.

Crowd cheers inspired by the turnovers which Binghamton forced thanks to good defensive position earlier in the game were replaced by blown whistles by referees who caught the Bearcats slapping at the ball (and the Wildcats’ wrists). Chucking 3-pointers which could not find their marks took the place of easy layups and free throws. The trend would continue for much of the game as the Wildcats’ confidence built and the Bearcats failed to get their momentum back. A lot of credit should also be given to New Hampshire for keeping the Bearcats down in the second half with superior defense and an improvement in its ability to handle Binghamton’s pressure defense.

However, the Bearcats would not let the opportunity to get the top seed in the conference tournament by winning its final two games of the season pass them by. A dunk at the 3:49 mark by junior swingman D.J. Rivera started an 8-0 run by the Bearcats to finish the second half.

A shot by junior guard Emanuel “Tiki” Mayben that, at its apex, had enough arc to fit four Jaan Montgomerys beneath it, would account for points six, seven and eight of the Bearcats’ run to knot the score at 64. As the shot which fell from the heavens splashed the net, all of the school-record 5,222 fans jumped out of their seats and cheered. “How about those fans?” an impressed and appreciative Broadus asked after the game.

The Wildcats failed to score on the last possession of regulation and the game went into overtime, as the team wearing the gray and green continued to save their coach some green.

Binghamton failed to score a single field goal in overtime. However, thanks to a few lucky bounces and aggressive play, the Bearcats were able to win the game at the free throw line. New Hampshire faithful may argue that bad officiating had something to do with the final outcome as well.

After UNH struck first in overtime with a 3-pointer compliments of talented sophomore guard Alvin Abreu, Binghamton predictably hoisted up two 3-pointers on its first two field goal attempts of the extra period. Both attempts missed. However, sneaky sophomore guard Chretien Lukusa used smart/lucky court position to grab the long rebounds from the long range chucks. Both boards led to New Hampshire fouls, one of which fouled the team’s center, Dane DiLiegro, out of the game. The BU Zoo would politely wave goodbye to New Hampshire’s best big man as he made his way to the bench.

These fouls also resulted in Binghamton free throws. More aggressive play by the Bearcats on both ends of the court forced the Wolverines to play out of their comfort zone. Four made free throw attempts and an equal number of New Hampshire turnovers later, the final buzzer sounded with the Bearcats up by one point.

The scoreboard read 70-69, and the Bearcats’ hopes of getting the first seed in the conference tournament are still alive.

Broadus ended up donating $250 to the ACS, according to the arena announcer.