File photo Senior ace James Giulietti earned his second win of the year after surrendering just one run in six innings in Game 1 of Binghamton?s three-game sweep of UMBC.

The Binghamton University baseball team opened America East conference play with a bang this past weekend, sweeping University of Maryland, Baltimore County in a three-game set to extend its current winning streak to six games.

The Bearcats (10-15, 3-0 AE), who tagged Siena College pitchers for 29 runs in a three-game sweep last weekend, tallied only 16 runs against UMBC (4-20, 0-3 AE). But coupled with solid pitching, Binghamton topped the Retrievers in a doubleheader on Saturday before rallying for a dramatic victory in Sunday’s series finale.

After arguably his best performance of the season against Siena, senior ace James Giulietti got the nod in the opener of the twin bill. In six innings of work, the southpaw struck out seven and surrendered just one run, a third inning sacrifice fly that proved to be the only blemish of a nearly flawless outing.

Senior outfielder Jeff Skelhorne-Gross had given the Bearcats a lead by doubling in a run in the top of the second inning, and following the sac fly, Giulietti was able to preserve the 1-1 tie.

In the top of the seventh, with the teams deadlocked at one, Binghamton tagged UMBC sophomore Mike Mitchell for four runs, highlighted by a two-run double by Skelhorne-Gross. Giulietti came in to pitch the bottom of the frame, but after two singles and a walk loaded the bases, head coach Tim Sinicki elected to pull him. Senior Zach Juliano entered from the bullpen, and after walking the first batter he faced, struck out the next before inducing a game-winning double play to give the Bearcats the 5-2 victory.

In the nightcap, Skelhorne-Gross continued to swing a hot bat, singling in two in the top of the first inning for what would turn out to be the game-winning runs. UMBC scored once, an RBI single in the second inning to cut the lead to 3-1, but the Bearcats fought for insurance, scoring twice in the fourth and once in the eighth to expand the lead to five runs.

Junior starter Mike Augliera had a highly productive outing, surrendering only one run on six hits with seven strikeouts over eight innings of work. Junior Alex Adami retired the side in the ninth, giving the Bearcats the 6-1 win and doubleheader sweep.

Sunday’s series finale would prove to be the closest game of the series, as UMBC jumped on sophomore Jay Lynch for four runs in the fourth. But Lynch remained in the game through the eighth inning without surrendering another run, allowing the Bearcats an opportunity to climb back from the deficit.

“He was still throwing the ball well and his velocity was good,” Sinicki said of his decision to keep Lynch on the mound. “It was just a bump in the road, his innings one, two and three were great. He felt good, his pitch count was down and we trusted him to keep us in the ball game as long as he did. He showed great composure and a great deal of confidence.”

The Bearcats rallied to score three runs, but still trailed 4-3 heading into the ninth. Senior outfielder Peter Bregartner led off the inning with a single, and after a strikeout by Skelhorne-Gross, was driven home on a double by sophomore third baseman Mike Thompson to tie the game. In the ensuing at-bat, freshman second baseman Daniel Nevares singled Thompson home to turn a once four-run hole into a one-run advantage.

With a 5-4 lead, pressure fell on the Binghamton bullpen to close out the game. Juliano, who closed out the opener in Saturday’s doubleheader, delivered for the Bearcats, striking out two and retiring the side to earn his second save of the season.

Juliano and Adami combined for three impressive performances, a sign of improvement for a bullpen that has been erratic throughout the season.

“We learned a lot about our club over spring break,” Sinicki said. “Right now we’ve got a couple of guys we’ve got a lot of confidence in to come in and close games if we’re in that situation.”

Junior first baseman Dave Ciocchi finished the weekend with two hits and two RBI, bringing his season totals to 32 and 19, respectively. Ciocchi leads the America East in batting average, posting a .372 mark through the season’s first 25 games.

With the sweep, Binghamton sits tied with University at Albany at the top of the America East standings. For the Bearcats, experience played an integral role in starting conference play on the right foot.

“That’s a great way to start conference play, and on the road it’s never easy,” Sinicki said. “We’ve got a lot of veteran guys in our lineup and on our ball club who know what conference games are all about.”

After opening the season with 25 consecutive road games, the Bearcats are set to host Niagara University this afternoon. Based in the Northeast, Binghamton is used to a grueling early-season schedule, but Sinicki knows it will be a relief for both him and his players to take the field at home.

“I don’t think people have a handle on how difficult it is to travel all of the time, constantly being the visiting team on the scoreboard and constantly giving teams last at-bats,” he said. “It’s not easy, I give our guys a lot of credit for competing the way they have on the road, so it will be nice to play at home. To not have to jump on a bus will be refreshing, that’s for sure.”

Binghamton is set to take on Niagara at Varsity Field today, with first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m.