Courtesy of Communications and Marketing Dept.

Binghamton University President Lois DeFleur announced last week that she plans to establish the Task Force on Undergraduate Education for the Digital Generation this semester.

This task force, similar to the 1999 Force for Improvement of Undergraduate Learning in the New Millenium, is one of DeFleur’s efforts to enhance the academic experience of BU students, said Gail Glover, BU spokeswoman.

“We are in the early stages of formulating a plan and will soon be developing a committee to begin the assessment,” Glover said. “Committee members will be drawn from across the campus and include a range of University constituents.”

The point of the Task Force is to study the recent trends in education at BU and compile a series of recommendations to better the University.

The previous task force developed the goals for the Discovery Program, the Scholars Program and their integrated curricula. This task force also made recommendations for the implementation of these programs.

According to the University’s Web site, the goal of the Discovery “is to transform Binghamton University into a living-learning community — one where learning extends beyond the classroom door. Discovery’s mission is to help guide students in the exploration of their many academic and career interests.”

The program is still expanding and includes academic expectations, extracurricular activities and community involvement.

The Scholars Program is an all-University, four-year honors program for students of exceptional merit.

“These students take small classes together with an emphasis on collaborative hands-on research, technology, foreign-language skills and leadership,” the Web site states.

The programs’ implementation began in June 2001, and each year since another component was scheduled to be added to its existing structure.

In 1999, the task force was comprised of faculty, Academic and Student Affairs staff and administration, Faculty Masters and students.

According to Inside BU, appointment letters are expected to go out soon, and the task force will meet throughout 2009 and 2010.

“We expect that this project will take a full calendar year and look forward to considering the task force’s recommendations,” Glover said.