Can you kick it? Smoking, that is.

Binghamton University’s Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) and Real Education About College Health (REACH) were tabling in the New University Union on Thursday for the ‘Can You Kick it?’ program in an effort to help students shed the nasty habit.

The program coincides with the Great American Smokeout, which is always on the third Thursday of November.

‘The Great American Smokeout is a national event,’ said Rachel Georgopoulos, president of CAC. ‘It’s a program where you try to get everyone you know, friends and loved ones, to quit smoking.’

The Great American Smokeout officially began as a nationwide program when it was sponsored by the American Cancer Society in 1977. Those who signed up for the Great American Smokeout pledged to quit smoking for a full 24 hours. Smokers quit for a day and have support in the millions of others who are stopping ‘ if only temporarily ‘ at the same time.

The CAC gave out a kit to those who registered Thursday which included a quit tip sheet, a schedule showing when the benefits of quitting smoking begin, a lollipop and a note with the number for the Health Education office, (607) 777-2254.

CAC started last year and has participated both as volunteers and walkers in the Walk for Breast Cancer Awareness at Recreation Park for the past two years. In a ‘Cold Turkey’ program last year they worked with Sodexho to give a free turkey sandwich to those who pledged to stop smoking for 24 hours.

‘We also had a Halloween dance fundraiser with Alpha Phi Omega to raise money for the American Cancer Society,’ Georgopoulos said.

CAC bases some of its programs on the cancers for each month. November is known as the lung cancer awareness month, prompting the group to hold the Can You Kick It? program.

‘Some plans we have coming up include a ‘Watch Your Balls’ dodgeball program for testicular cancer awareness and playing with pediatric cancer patients at the local hospital,’ Georgopoulos said.

REACH is a peer education group run through Binghamton University’s Health Services in which volunteers work to heighten the awareness of students toward various health issues that might affect them.

Peer educators receive four credits through the School of Education and Human Development for committing to 10 to 12 hours a week. ‘The REACH peer educators engage students in their everyday environments (dining halls, University Union, bus stops, residential communities, campus events, etc.) using short, focused conversations about a particular health topic,’ explains the REACH Web site.