Binghamton University will honor the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks with a memorial exhibit that will open today and run through the end of September.

BU’s memorial will be part of a commemoration project called “New York Remembers,” which will feature exhibits in 31 locations around New York. The project is meant to honor the memories of those killed in the attacks as well as the emergency responders who answered the call to Ground Zero. The installations include photos and about 350 artifacts never before seen by the public.

Officials from the New York State Museum and National September 11th Memorial & Museum came to the University to install the exhibit on Tuesday, Aug. 23.

BU’s exhibit, which will be on display in the Grand Corridor of the Fine Arts Building, will host a piece of a fire truck that was at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, as well as a timeline of the events of that day.

“These exhibits are a way for New Yorkers to remember the innocent people killed in the terrorist attacks of 2001, to honor the first responders and to educate a new generation about the history of 9/11,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement. “The stories told through these exhibits are powerful and will serve as a reminder of the strength and resiliency of our state and our country.”

Elmira and Ithaca are two of the New York locations also hosting exhibits. The Syracuse state fair was the final location added.

Along with the “New York Remembers” installation, a memorial service organized by the University will be held in the Fine Arts Building’s Memorial Courtyard on Sept. 11. The ceremony will commence at 8:45 a.m., the same time the first plane struck the World Trade Center’s North Tower.

“Binghamton University lost 15 alumni in the 9/11 tragedy and so it is very fitting that our campus was chosen to be part of this statewide recognition,” said BU spokeswoman Gail Glover, spokeswoman. “Each year, we honor those alumni by laying a floral arrangement at a special Sept. 11 granite monument in our Memorial Courtyard. We are hoping that members of our campus and local communities will take the time to visit the exhibition to remember not only our alumni but all of the victims of 9/11.”

Kevin McCabe, the local representative for Cuomo, said that similar ceremonies will occur simultaneously at at least three other exhibit locations in the state.

“These exhibitions will give New Yorkers in towns, villages and cities all across the state a gathering place … to make sure we never forget those who lost their lives on Sept. 11,” Cuomo stated.