As the writer, producer and promoter of his own music, Keith Lynch is a pretty busy guy.

Unknown Component, Lynch’s one man musical project, consists of seven albums and two volumes of unreleased material. Lynch, a self-taught musician who plays every instrument in his recordings, is a living proof that raw talent still exists in the music industry.

‘The Indefinite Definitive,’ Unknown Component’s newest album, was released on Oct. 12. The 10-track album is a whirlwind of dreamy and relaxing melodic beats that combine thoughtful lyrics and impressive guitar solos. Brimming with uncertainty, ‘The Indefinite Definitive’ stresses the concepts of time, space and existence.

Lyrics such as ‘I have seen a million meanings undefined and doubting every reason that unravels, as they occupy the spaces in my mind,’ and ‘I don’t know what’s in between all the spaces and the seams, but I know I’ll always dream and that this is all I need’ highlight the omnipresent quest to seek a definite answer in a world where words create contradictions. Lynch’s voice is soft with a drawling rasp that resembles a mix of Something Corporate’s Andrew McMahon and Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong.

Based in Iowa City, it might be difficult to catch Unknown Component live. However, all music is available on iTunes, myspace and Lynch’s website www.unknowncomponent.com. Release interviewed Lynch to discuss his sound and plans for the future.

Release: When did you start making music?

Keith Lynch: I started writing music when I was 16 years old, after finding an acoustic guitar without any strings. I taught myself how to play the guitar by listening to music.

R: What instruments do you play?

KL: I play the drums, piano and guitar.

R: Do you write your own lyrics?

KL: Yes.

R: What is the significance behind the name of the band and new album name, ‘The Infinite Definitive?’

KL: The name Unknown Component is more of an idea than anything else, kind of a theory in a way. Just relating to the concept of trying to understand reality in regards to a system that we don’t understand. ‘The Infinite Definitive’ relates to the idea that if infinity exists, then a definitive is impossible, and I like the idea of words creating impossibilities or contradictions and how that relates to an understanding of art.

R: How would you describe your sound?

KL: I’d describe the sound as contemplative and contemporary. It’s like going to the grocery store and losing your way in the frozen-food section only to find that you’re really not hungry and unsure why you’ve made the trip. So you return home only to find that the TV has been left on and now an evangelical preacher is convincing your pets to boycott your return.

R: Have you ever thought about turning your solo work into a band?

KL: Yeah, it’s a possibility; it depends on how things continue to progress. I’m working on different ways of combining the instrumentation found on the albums into the live show.

R: Are you in the process of recording anything new?

KL: I’m always in the process of recording new material.

R: What in your music differentiates you from other bands?

KL: I feel like a lot of bands and/or musicians are caught up in some genre of the past. I’m not interested in rerecording a sound that was popular in the past. I’m more interested in creating something that reflects the present time more than anything else.

R: If your music was an ice cream flavor, what would it be and why?

KL: Rocky Road, because it’s a bit difficult but if you stay with it long enough it leads somewhere, (and I’m a fan of The Goonies).

R: When and where is your next live performance?

KL: I’ll be in Des Moines on Nov. 5 at The Des Moines Social Club.