Daniel O'Connor/Contributing Photographer

With the unpredictable Binghamton weather in fall, most girls would agree that having a pair of rain boots is a smart move. Guys, on the other hand, don’t always think so.

Rain boots, especially a pair of Hunter boots typically made of one solid color, became a huge trend this year. Hunter Boot Ltd. has been around in the UK for more than 150 years. But if you are looking to buy a pair, expect to pay at least $125. Boots never come cheap, especially if you’re looking for something as current, yet as retro, as a Hunter boot.

‘They’re the Levi’s of boots,’ said Rachael Utstein, an undeclared freshman.

Regardless of your budget, rubber is the way to go this year. You can get current rubber boots from Target, Coach and everywhere in between.

However, most guys would agree that rain boots are never cool enough to sport.

‘They’re uncomfortable, and I guess when girls wear those colorful boots, men assume it’s just a girly thing to do,’ said Micah Tandowski, an undeclared freshman.

Another problem with men’s boots is their height. While women wear winter boots of a similar shin-high design, there is no other footwear type that rises so high on a man’s leg.

If you are looking for a men’s rain boot, you’ll have some luck on www.zappos.com or at your local Target store. Men’s rain boots are usually black, dark green or navy blue and have a simple rubber design.

‘It’s sad we live in a world where being masculine trumps just being practical,’ said Stephen Bedik, a freshman majoring in management.

If rain boots are too feminine for you, waterproof sneakers or durable sandals, like Crocs, are an option (if it’s warm). Regardless, it takes a truly manly man to wear rain boots.