Jonathan Heisler/Staff Photographer

Sitting quietly at a table in the corner of the New University Union Food Court, joining her hands together and closing her eyes to the soup in front of her, one may think that the lady dressed in a blue uniform is taking a rest from the noise. But in fact, that lady, Maria Perdomo, is just having a spiritual moment.

“I was just praying,” Maria said. “It is important for me to pray before each meal. I pray for the food, for the people who have made the food, for my children and also for the students.”

Born in Honduras, Maria came to New York City with her family in the 1980s. At age 26, she graduated with a degree in accounting from Lehman College. She wanted to settle in a serene place, away from the noise of the city, so she decided to move to Endicott in 2007, where she bought a house for her family, which at the time consisted of her 20-year-old son and 19-year-old daughter.

Maria has been working for Sodexo for over a year now. Her generosity and kindness have made her extremely popular among students, who are more than pleased to hear the words, “Hi, how are you today?” when they arrive at her register.

Rachael Xerri, a senior majoring in creative writing, loves seeing Maria day to day.

“It’s always a pleasure to talk with Maria,” Xerri said. “She is such a kind person. Sometimes I don’t even mind the long waiting line because I know she is there.”

Her positive attitude is also appreciated by her co-workers, especially Rebecca Buckner, a Sodexo employee and a sophomore majoring in graphic design.

“I like working with Maria,” Buckner said. “Every time I see her, she is smiling, and I really think the people around her enjoy her cheery attitude.”

Maria said that her kindness comes from her family tradition and the faith she has in people.

“In Honduras, we live in a community and we don’t need to close the door of our house, but of course I can not do it here,” Maria said.

She also added that helping people and being nice are principles she has learned from her loving parents.

Working for Sodexo also reminds Maria of her college days.

“It is not easy for students to be in college,” Maria said. “They are far from their family; that’s why I like talking to them.”

When she is not working at the Food Court, Maria remains a proactive woman. She works a second job at H&R Block during tax season, and volunteers at Binghamton General Hospital. She can also be seen praying at church every Sunday. Recently, she has taken two foster children into her home.

And during the weekend, Maria simply likes to enjoy time with her family, two huskies and cat.

“I like taking the kids to the swimming pool or having a barbecue in our yard,” Maria said.

As a mother, she has raised her children with values of kindness and has taught them to speak Spanish, thus preserving a little bit of her culture.

“I really want them to know their culture and to have a high education,” Maria said. “Getting a job is very hard today, and with a good education, they can do whatever they want and have a good life. Maybe they will become president.”

Maria lives to help people. She may work as a cashier, but she does so much more. Every day, her kindness and passion in everything she does makes her an unforgettable person and a friend to all.