Fall is a fickle season for fashion, made even more frustrating by changing end-of-summer temperatures. Luckily, there are easy ways to pull off transitioning your closet from summer to fall. Instead of storing away all of your summer clothes for next year, repurpose some pieces for reinvention in fall outfits.

Casual Looks

FUN AND FLIRTY: Denim skirts are the perfect transitional piece. When worn casually, skirts work for everything from running errands to going out to eat. You can pair the skirt with a long-sleeve blouse or a dark, thin sweater. Throw on tights and knee-high boots or sneakers to complete the look.

WHITE JEANS AFTER LABOR DAY: Don’t shy away from white jeans just yet, even though your mother might warn you about “the rule.” Pair a gray leather jacket with a tight black T-shirt or a sweater, and add a double-buckle belt. Pair this look with booties or pointed ballet flats for the ideal fall outfit.

LOVELY LAYERS: Think twice before storing away your graphic T-shirts and tank tops. These easy tops can be worn under utility jackets with jeans and sneakers for a simple, yet stylish look. They can also be layered under your favorite Binghamton University sweatshirt in case you get cold in class, or paired with a cardigan and leggings.

YOUR BOYFRIEND’S JEANS: Boyfriend jeans are ideal for all seasons and are super comfortable — who wants to wear tight jeans while running around on campus? For a casual fall day, add a basic black tank top and leather jacket to the outfit. Cuff the jeans and throw on tennis shoes for a day look. If you’re wearing your boyfriend jeans Downtown, slip on heeled ankle boots. If you’re bored of wearing jeans and a black top out all the time, try tossing on some high-waisted fishnets underneath for a cool look.

DENIM GAL: To rework your classic skinny jeans, cuff the hem of the jeans once or twice so the hems come above your ankles and wear a lace-up ballet flat. Pair this with a thin white sweater and choker necklace. Add an oversized tan bag and a floppy-brim sun hat for a finished look.

Dressy Looks

STILL SUNNY: Bright dresses are a staple for summertime, but they can also be transitioned into fall. Although vivid colors seem odd for colder weather, neutral outerwear, jewelry and shoes can really change the look. Try adding a beige or brown leather jacket and statement necklace. Just swap out your summer wedges for knee-high boots and add tights on colder days to complete the outfit.

LBD UPDATE: From a beach cover-up to a swingy party dress, a little black dress is a versatile and timeless piece that can be worked into any season. Throw on your black dress and add heeled over-the-knee boots and tights, like fishnet stockings, which add a cool texture that’ll break up the monochromatic black look.

DINNER DOWNTOWN: Rompers are perfect for the fall because they can be dressed up for a night Downtown or dressed down for running to class. For a dressier look, pair a long-sleeve romper with a bold necklace and black heeled ankle boots. Add a bright handbag to give this look some color. If you want to dress down the romper, try a sleeveless piece with a cardigan and low suede ankle boots. Add a tan or olive tote bag to complete the look.