Valentine’s Day has an intense love-hate relationship with almost everyone. Either it enhances the fact that you’re hopelessly alone or it brings you and your significant other closer together. For all you single ladies out there, it’s time to sit in front of your TV again, pop “The Notebook” into your DVD player and sob heavily into your pint of ice cream. Or is it?

Why does the entire world suddenly have to become affectionate? The idea of getting all mushy and love-y for one single day just seems kind of silly and unimportant. Most of all, it seems unrealistic.

“Valentine’s Day is much better when you have a boyfriend,” said Ariel Klein, an undeclared freshman in the School of Management. “This day is all about loving someone else and appreciating him or her, and I think it’d be a holiday to look forward to if I was in a relationship. Spending the day with friends is great, but I would much rather spend the day with a guy that I like.”

Like many students, Klein prefers that special someone to share the day with.

However, Valentine’s Day doesn’t always have to be about being in love. According to the United States Census Bureau, a whopping 43 percent of Americans 18 and older are single. So instead of scrambling to find a random townie to take home for V-Day, observe your surroundings and take into account the people you already know.

Going out with a bunch of friends may not fulfill your desire for a relationship, but it can prevent you from holing up in your bedroom in a pair of sweats and reminiscing about the times you shared with an ex. (We all know that’s what you planned on doing.)

Emily Grgas, a senior majoring in economics, insists that it’s really not so bad being single on Valentine’s Day.

“I’m going to hang out with my best friends,” Grgas said. “We might go see a movie, like ‘The Vow.’”

Grgas’ plans for the holiday make it seem easy to have a good time, whether you’re in a relationship or not.

And for those of you who have to celebrate your special day miles away from your beau, there’s no need to be bummed out. There are still some things you can do to make your V-Day meaningful.

Taylor Squires, a freshman majoring in chemistry, says that celebrating in a long-distance relationship can be tough, but he plans to make the best of his situation.

“If you can’t be with your girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, write her a handwritten letter and mail it to her,” Squires said. “A handwritten letter is a lot more thoughtful than just sending a text or a store-bought card. Also, shipping a bouquet of flowers or some candy is a good idea. Even though it’s expensive, it’s a really nice gesture if you can afford it.”

Valentine’s Day is all about expressing your love for someone else — a significant other, a friend, a classmate or even a family member. Although it was originally a holiday created for lovers, it doesn’t mean we can’t bend the rules a little bit. Buying a card or a stuffed animal for someone platonic in your life can go a long way. So get out there this Feb. 14 and make someone’s day.