Being a freshman in college can be daunting at times. You’re in a new place with new people, and sometimes it can take a while to get into the swing of things. After completing my first semester and moving on to my next, I’ve become “older and wiser,” although still not taller, so that sucks.

Anyway, here are a few things I’ve learned in my first semester at Binghamton University.

1. Unless they are really necessary, avoid early morning classes like your life depends on it.
  2. Don’t try to study on your bed. You will fall asleep.
  3. When referring to an area that is scary and untrustworthy, students will often use the word “sketchy.”
  4. People flee like cockroaches to taxis after a night of partying. Sitting on someone’s lap in a cab is second nature to some people.
  5. You learn to dress for all four seasons because you’ll experience them all in one week.
  6. Five-minute snowstorms exist in Binghamton.
  7. College-in-the-Woods’ Nite Owl is one of the best places to eat after a long night of studying.
  8. Spending the money on your meal plan is a balancing act and good practice for the future.
  9. You will get bombarded with frat party invitations every week and still argue with friends over where to go.
  10. People who are in chemistry, biology or calculus classes have a language of their own.
  11. The president of Binghamton University makes enough money to pay for your entire tuition right now. But you’ll probably spend 20 years trying to pay it off.
  12. Get involved. Yeah, everyone says to do it, but it is the best way to meet new people, spread your wings and all those other cheesy sayings that come along with it.
  13. You will grow to love Walmart, even though you feel guilty shopping there.
  14. The walls in every dorm are too thin. Enough said.
  15. Easy “A” classes don’t exist here.
  16. There will always be a constant debate over which residence hall is the best. Almost everyone will agree that Dickinson Community is the worst, except for the people who live there.
  17. Keep an open mind and try not to judge someone right away.
  18. If you try your hardest to make friends with someone and they don’t reciprocate, forget them. They obviously can’t handle your swag.
  19. Keeping in touch with your high school friends is possible if you put in the effort.
  20. Weeks and months will fly by in the blink of an eye. Take advantage of every semester.