Jules Forrest/Assistant Photo Editor

Maybe you’re a transfer student, a freshman still getting your bearings or just extremely shy, but regardless of your status it’s possible that you’ve yet to meet all the people who live on your floor. So instead of hiding in your room, here are some tips to get your social calendar flowing.

1. Keep your door open

Whether you’re studying or just hanging out, keeping your door open is a sure way to meet the people on your floor.

“Whenever anyone leaves their door open on their floor, it’s almost as if I feel like it’s impolite for me not to go in and strike a conversation,” said Shannon Mackay, a sophomore majoring in psychology.

People are open and willing to talk. If they see you are available to hang out, they might drop in to ask about your classes or even just to say hello. If you want to make yourself even more noticeable, play some music or make a snack whose scent lures people into the hallway and straight to your room.

2. Talk in the bathroom

Bathrooms are a key place to make some new friends. You could just start with a simple “hi” to everyone you see while you brush your teeth. Sharing a bathroom is such a bonding experience because you have to see most of these people every day. So use this to your advantage.

3. Go to building or floor events

There are so many events going on in your own building, full of new people you can meet. Plus, many freshmen and transfer students are eager to make new friends. Go to floor meetings, hall meetings and general events. Those are easy places to make new friends and exchange numbers.

4. Get involved

Check B-Line or look for posters in your building or dining hall. Student groups look to expand membership and welcome newcomers. Or think about joining your living community’s government.

5. Talk to your resident assistant

Since RAs are upperclassmen, they have a lot of insight about how to help you break out of your shell. Remember that they’ve been in the same spot as you.

6. Check your building for people in your classes

Some buildings make a list of everyone’s classes so you can see if you share any with people you live with. Find them and see if they’d be interested in studying together in the comfort of your common areas. It’s a great way to make a new friend and a study buddy at the same time.

7. Get sporty

Join your community’s co-rec sports teams. There are typically many to choose from so you’re bound to find something you’ll like. Whether it’s football or soccer, get physical.

8. Join Greek Life

Fraternities and sororities are a great way to meet new friends, and many times, members live right on your floor.

“It makes campus smaller and makes school more comfortable because now there always is a familiar face,” said Risa Gul, a sophomore majoring in actuarial science and a sorority member.

All in all, just get out of your room and off Facebook and instant messenger. Real friends come in real life and from getting out of your comfort zone.