As classes drone on, many students drift to thoughts of the weekend, counting down the hours until they can drink, dance and forget about the dreadfully long syllabi they were just handed. Of course, this isn’t the case for every student. Some may prefer to spend their weekend getting ahead on stacks of homework. So what’s the protocol on pre-gaming when your roommate has different social habits from you?

The most important thing is to communicate. There is a difference between not wanting to participate in an activity and being against it. It’s a good idea to sit down and talk with your roommate about what he/she is comfortable with in regards to all social activities, pre-gaming included.

Sophia Schneiderman, an undeclared sophomore, is familiar with this scenario.

“I don’t like to drink, but my roommate has her friends over on the weekends,” Schneiderman said. “I don’t mind as long as they aren’t too loud and are respectful about it.”

Work out several factors with your roomie, such as the volume in the room, the time when people are allowed to party and number of people allowed in the room. Working out these details can help make the situation easier for both of you.

If you’re in a suite, you can ask if pre-gaming is acceptable in the common area instead of your roommate’s personal space. Try to be respectful and not throw a rager until all hours of the morning when your suitemates are sleeping. Be neat, polite and smart about pre-gaming.

There are other alternatives to pre-gaming if your roommate isn’t comfortable being around it. Many people are perfectly paired with roommates who enjoy the same social atmosphere as they do. It may be a better idea to head on over to one of your friends’ rooms instead of annoying your own roommate while he/she tries to do work or catch up on this week’s episode of “Gossip Girl.”

Sarah Loveland, a senior majoring in psychology, recalls living in the dorms and having a roommate with the same habits as she did.

“A lot of my friends would come over to my room on the weekends,” Loveland said. “My roommate and I both pre-gamed before going out on the weekends, so it was easy for us to hang out in my room without disrespecting or upsetting anyone.”

Another alternative to pre-gaming in your room is a fraternity party. Almost every weekend, two or three fraternities host parties that start around 10 p.m. Instead of having all of your friends over to pre-game in the dorms, you could all go to a party before it’s time to hit up State Street.

Going to parties early can be good for a few reasons. One is that these parties get more and more crowded, not to mention sweaty, as the night goes on. Another is that there will almost always be alcohol available in the beginning of the night, so you don’t need to supply your own. Lastly, and this one’s for you girls, most parties will let ladies in for free before a certain time to ensure people will show up earlier in the night.

Since social life is a huge part of the college experience, finding people who share the same habits and engage in the same activities as you is important for roommate selection for the following academic year. But remember, even if you two don’t enjoy the same social habits, communication and respect are always key factors in making your room into a home.