Our long winter break gives us plenty of time to reflect on our fall semester. Maybe we didn’t get the grades we wanted, spent too many nights partying or fell head over heels only to be dumped. Regardless, spring semester offers a chance to refresh ourselves and start over.

1. Time to clean up your Facebook profile

The new Timeline has revolutionized Facebook, making old pictures and old wall posts much more visible to friends, family and co-workers.

Daniel Cohen, an undeclared freshman, thinks if you’ll regret it, you shouldn’t post it on your wall.

“Prior to posting any type of material on Facebook, one should always consider who may be viewing his or her profile and subsequently use proper judgment to determine if the posted material may cause offense to a viewer or cause damage to one’s own reputation,” Cohen said.

Go through your photos and untag those silly pictures of you completely wasted at the bar. You don’t have to delete them altogether, but they probably shouldn’t be displayed so boldly on your profile. Classy is better, especially for those of you looking for jobs.

Next, edit your privacy settings so your Facebook profile isn’t out in the open. You don’t want some random creeper stalking your pictures. This way, you’re in control of what personal information is exposed.

You can also see what your Facebook looks like to a stranger using the “View As” button. This will not only make you safer, but will also prevent major damage to your reputation if someone — like your boss — sees those pictures of you partying like a wild animal.

Lastly, clean up your friends list. Though you may like to think you have 2,000 close friends, you probably don’t. Friending people you don’t know may seem like a good idea, but it can also be dangerous.

Use the “met once” rule. If you’ve met in person at least once, it’s usually OK to be Facebook friends. And don’t be fooled by the mutual friends list on Facebook. Sure, you can have friends in common, but your friends could have easily pressed “accept” without thinking twice, just like you’re about to if you’re not careful.

2. Clean up your laptop and cell phone

It’s time to give your laptop some room to breathe for a brand new semester. Browse your computer for old files, like unimportant emails, junk folders and old documents from previous semesters.

Erasing unimportant files from your computer not only gives you more storage space, but it also provides the rewarding feeling of a fresh start.

Everyone hates that annoying spam mail that fills up your inbox daily. To limit the spam you receive, look for the settings or preferences tab on your email account and block specific addresses. By getting rid of spam, you’re getting rid of its distraction. Plus you may miss more important emails.

Also, browse through your phone and clear up any old text messages, emails and photos that you don’t need anymore. Starting fresh will put you in the mindset for a great spring semester.

3. Get organized

Success is about staying on top of your schoolwork while balancing a social life. But it’s also about making sure everything’s where it’s supposed to be. It’s much easier to lose important notes and papers when our desks are crammed with junk. Buy a desk organizer to get rid of the clutter.

“During the semester I keep track of all my assignments, tests and important dates on my iCal app on my computer,” said Sayuri Ito, an undeclared sophomore. “I also try to make schedules when I’m overwhelmed.”

Also, think about using an agenda this semester. It’s probably easier to just whip out your cell phone and text a note to yourself, but normally you remember information more when you actually write it down on paper.

4. Save some green

Ordering food late at night might seem like a good idea at the time, but the cost adds up.

“Last semester, I always ordered Chinese food with my friends, but this semester I plan on cutting back,” Ito said.

You’re probably better off buying groceries and making quick meals in your dorm’s local kitchen or your apartment. Stock up on things like canned soup and pasta and make meals when you get sick of the usual bland Binghamton food.

Jazzman’s Café may be delicious, but it’s still pretty expensive. Ordering a tea once or twice a day really adds up at the end of the semester, leaving you with nada on your meal plan. Look on discount websites, like Amazon, for your favorite tea and coffee brands (a 50-count tea tin goes for $14). You can make your favorite hot or cold drink instead (Jazzman’s gives out hot water for free). Just think how much you’d be saving: one cup of tea a day comes out to about $160 a semester.