Macaroni and cheese is a food that can bring you comfort no matter how you’re feeling. It’s warm, delicious and can be very easy to make. Although this classic rarely gets boring, there’s no shame in wanting to spice it up every now and then. For inspiration in your quest for the bowl of perfect mac, check out Pipe Dream’s experimentation with our favorite toppings and mix-ins inspired by breakfast, chicken wings and super-cheesy nachos.

Note: When we were testing our recipes, we used Annie’s Homegrown Mac and Cheese. You can also use another brand of boxed macaroni and cheese, buy prepared pasta or make a recipe from scratch.

Breakfast Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
— Macaroni and cheese, prepared
— Frozen tater tots
— Bacon
Optional:
— Tomatoes
Directions:
Cook the tater tots according to the directions listed on the package. Place a baking rack on a baking sheet with a rim, and lay out strips of bacon in a single layer. Bake at 400 degrees until crispy. Allow the bacon to cool and then chop it into bite-sized pieces. If you are using tomatoes, dice them into small pieces. To assemble the breakfast macaroni and cheese, put some of your prepared macaroni and cheese in a bowl and add in desired toppings and mix it. Eggs can be added as well. Try making them over easy and then placing them on top of your bowl.

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
— Macaroni and cheese, prepared
— Can of chicken
— Hot sauce or Buffalo sauce
— Crumbled blue cheese
Directions:
Chop the canned chicken into small pieces if it is not already in small enough pieces, and add it to a frying pan. If the chicken was packed without fat, you may need to add oil or another fat to ensure that the chicken does not stick to the pan. Once the chicken has been warmed up over medium heat and the fat has melted, add hot sauce or Buffalo sauce to your taste and stir.
To assemble the chicken wing macaroni and cheese, put some of your prepared macaroni and cheese into a bowl and stir in your desired amount of chicken. Top with blue cheese, a couple more shakes of hot sauce and serve.

Doritos Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
— Macaroni and cheese, prepared
— Nacho Cheese Doritos
Optional:
— Cool Ranch Doritos
Directions:
Place a handful of Doritos into a Ziploc bag and crush them into small pieces. Stir them into prepared macaroni and cheese and top with additional crushed Doritos.