Number 5, self-described as the Binghamton area’s quintessential steakhouse, is serving up a dining experience whose value cannot be matched this Restaurant Week.

Open for dinner seven nights a week, Number 5 is offering a three-course dinner for $30 during Restaurant Week. If patrons wish to split the deal, there is a $20 plate charge that can be applied to the bill.

Number 5 has clearly worked hard to cultivate its atmosphere, and I cannot imagine a more comfortable and relaxed dining experience. While the dining area was packed, our table never felt crowded, nor did we feel that the noise level was too loud. By seating patrons far away from its kitchen, Number 5 ensures guests will be able to focus on their dining companions, or the soft sounds of Michael Bublé if they so prefer.

Staying true to its roots, Number 5 also has an array of items from the building’s days as a fire house arranged around the dining area, prompting patrons to acknowledge the unique architecture of the historic building.

But Number 5 is more than a pretty place to have a meal. Our server, Jordan, provided top-notch service. He was constantly available and attentive. Noticing that the accompanying photographer and I were first-timers to the restaurant, Jordan broke down the Restaurant Week menu for us, pointing out the especially interesting or popular items.

Based on his recommendations, we both ordered the french onion soup. While we had been assured that the soup was a popular item and well worth our time, it still managed to exceed all expectations. Maybe it was just because we had endured a long rainy day of class, but the soup was the perfect respite from the weather and introduction to our meal.

Next we were directed to two of Number 5’s most popular entrees. I had the prime sirloin steak topped with sautéed mushrooms and onions. The char-grilled steak had a delightful crust while still maintaining a tender inside cooked to a perfect medium. Soon after delivering it to the table, Jordan returned to ensure it was cooked to my liking, a bit of attentiveness I really appreciated.

The photographer, a vegetarian, had the coquilles St. Jacques, a seafood dish consisting of scallops and mushrooms baked in a sherry cream sauce. The dish was expertly presented and easy to eat. By serving the meal in a small dish rather than on a plate, Number 5’s kitchen staff were able to accentuate the baked swiss and cheddar cheese that topped the dish. The photographer described the dish to me as having a hearty mixture of flavors and a good variety of textures, something she feels seafood dishes often execute poorly.

Each entree comes with a choice of side. On this evening, diners were offered an option between mashed potatoes or the vegetable du jour, which was peas and mushrooms. I chose the mashed potatoes. They were extremely well whipped, while not being overly creamy, with the potato skins left in — my personal favorite. My dining partner opted for the peas and mushrooms. While the dish was fine, she felt that it did not match the quality of the other items on the menu we had tasted. Nevertheless, we agreed that the quality of the rest of the meal more than made up for this one slip-up.

For dessert, diners are offered a choice between a homemade flourless cake referred to as “chocolate decadence,” fresh strawberry shortcake and autumn spice cake. The strawberry shortcake was described to me as the perfect way to tie the meal together. Its light and fruity flavors excellently topped off the meal, putting a strong punctuation mark on the dining experience. My chocolate decadence was exactly as advertised. The slice of cake was accompanied by a hearty dollop of homemade whip cream and left me wonderfully, and satisfyingly, stuffed.

Overall, Number 5 could not be more justified in selling themselves as an upscale, yet affordable restaurant in the Binghamton area. The restaurant promises great service with excellent food and the staff goes above and beyond to deliver on all fronts.