After the recent flood, Binghamton University students have been hit with the scary realization that we aren’t immune from natural disasters. Seeing nearby stores, like our beloved Walmart and Wegmans, almost completely under water made the flood that much more real. Maybe we never had emergency or first aid kits before, but after last week’s events, students should make sure they are ready if anything like this happens again.

Ready, a campaign to educate Americans to prepare and respond to emergencies, has listed on its website 12 key items for an emergency kit.

1. Water

The website recommends a gallon of water per person for at least three days. This can be used for drinking and/or sanitation purposes.

2. Food

Three days worth of non-perishable food is recommended, but it’s never a bad idea to have extra.

3. Radio

A battery-powered and NOAA Weather Radio, which can be purchased at Target or Walmart, is advised. Make sure to have extra batteries just in case.

4. Flashlight

In case the electricity shuts off or you need to signal for help, a flashlight is a necessity. Just like the radio, have extra batteries on hand.

5. First aid kit

Sterile gloves, antibiotic disinfectant towelettes, antibiotic and burn ointments, various sized band-aids, eye wash solution, a thermometer, everyday prescription medications and medical supplies are imperative in a first aid kit. Items that you could also consider are tweezers and scissors.

6. Whistle

A whistle is a good way to alert anyone around who may be able to help you if you’re in need.

7. Dust mask

Because dust and other debris can be harmful, a dust mask will help filter contaminated air.

8. Garbage bags

For sanitation purposes. Garbage bags and moist towelettes can help keep you clean.

9. Pliers

A wrench or pliers can be used to shut off any electrical appliances that may not shut off manually.

10. Can opener

Because you can’t open that non-perishable food in your kit without it.

11. Map

Local maps can point you in the right direction, should you need to evacuate.

12. Cell phone

Not that it would even cross our minds since we’re constantly glued to our phones, but if you know there is going to be an emergency situation, make sure your phone is fully charged.

Having experienced the flood firsthand, some students offered their suggestions for a survival kit.

1. “A laptop and nail polish saved me from boredom,” said Elana Streim, a senior majoring in political science. “It was like there wasn’t even a state of emergency going on because me and all my friends just sat in a room together watching ‘Mean Girls.'”

2. “A deck of cards came in handy,” said Dave Saitelbach, a junior majoring in English. “Me and my friends played Pitch all day long to keep from being bored stuck in the house.”

3. “Having a few board games around is always a good thing,” said Kim Keorasmey, a junior majoring in accounting. “Me and my friends kept ourselves entertained with CatchPhrase and Cranium all night.”

Check out www.ready.gov for more information.