Sasa Sucic/Staff Photographer

Binghamton is no stranger to bad weather. The spots of sunshine that have been appearing the last few weeks are simply an illusion because before we know it, the weather is going to be rainy and cold just like all your relatives warned you it would be when you decided to go to school here. Even when the weather is not so great, there are still fun things you can do to pass the time.

Socialize

If you live in the dorms, it is a perfect opportunity to get more social with your floor and building. A lot of residence halls have unofficial ping pong and water pong tournaments to bond as a building. It’s a great way to meet people next time the weather isn’t great, which will probably be soon.

Stay in and watch a movie

Alison Mackenzie, an undeclared freshman, is a movie buff who suggests watching a good film when it is too rainy to go outside.

“My suite likes to hang out and watch movies,” Mackenzie said. “It is a great way to pass the time and you can do it on or off campus. It’s a great bonding experience with your suite, and sharing each others’ snacks is always fun too.”

Accept the weather for what it is

Gilad Gamliel, an undeclared sophomore, says that a fun way to embrace the bad weather is to go mud sliding.

“The weather in Binghamton is overall pretty spotty so we kind of have to make do and make fun out of a bad experience,” Gamliel said. “Mud sliding sort of brought Hinman and Mountainview together, which is awesome because they’re typically so separate.”

Although traying is usually the snow activity of choice, last year some students even skied and snowboarded near Hinman College.

Explore the mall

The Oakdale Mall is about 10 minutes from campus. Having a car is no excuse because all students receive free public transportation. Simply walk to the Old University Union and wait for the appropriate bus to arrive and take you to this wondrous destination. Once there, you can get your shop on, update your hair-do or simply grab a bite to eat. The choices are endless.

Visit the museum

If you’re feeling a bit artsy, check out the Bundy Museum. Located on Main Street, this museum features various art forms as well as live presentations and special events.

Another option is the Roberson Museum and Science Center, located on Front Street. Here you can learn about art, history and science, with each exhibit somehow relating to the local community. If you’re looking for something educational, these are probably the best options.

Get up and get out

Binghamton has its very own hockey team, the Binghamton Senators. Seeing a game at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena could be quite an experience. Even if you don’t enjoy the game, you’re likely to see a fight, which could be entertaining.

Not into hockey? No worries, the Broome County Arena has free skate hours during the week for those interested in recreational ice skating. Check out their website at www.broomearena.com/ for more information.

Catch some Z’s

Realistically though, the most typical activity for college students during bad weather is just to catch up on some sleep. Taking a long nap when it is rainy and gross outside can be extremely relaxing, especially for students who are always on the run.

Regardless of the frequency of bad weather in Binghamton, it is safe to say there are ways to entertain yourself and still be social even if it’s a gloomy day.