You may not realize this, but Binghamton University is about to become a very, very dark place. In about two weeks, we’ll begin our seven-month period of cold, terrible weather. We all know it’s coming, so rather than sit around and wait for judgment day, let’s get up, get outside and enjoy the sunshine while we can. Here are a few ideas on how to get the most out of the weather before we enter another Binghamton ice age.

Take a walk

Vestal Parkway offers many exciting by-foot destinations. Walk on up to Buffet Star right across the campus. The enormous restaurant is on a hill, so the climb will make you feel like you’re scaling a mountain. Take a walk. While you’re in the walking mood, why not trek through the Nature Preserve? The wooded retreat includes at least two species of tree, wildlife (squirrels, anyone?) and a lake where freshmen can take artsy photos. If you have a car, take advantage of the blake, Binghamton’s own beach/lake that’s typically populated with students in the beginning weeks of the semester. Downtown has some neat areas to walk through as well, especially during First Friday. Seeing State Street during the day is an eye-opening experience. The Lost Dog Café is a great lunch spot and Café Oasis is a good place to relax and hang out.

Sit outside with a smart-looking book

Here’s an easy, creative way to spend some time outside and meet prospective hook-up partners. First, seat yourself near your community dining hall with a pretentious/bitchy novel (preferably George Orwell’s “Animal Farm” because you love the social commentary). Next, wait for someone you kind of know from your Lecture Hall class to arrive.

The following conversation will take place:

Girl: “Hey I know you. You’re in that class I take. Oh you’re reading ‘Animal Farm’? I love the social commentary.”

You: “Yeah.”

Girl: “I barely know you, and yet, I trust you and I want you.”

Reading outside is also a great way to get a face and neck tan, and learn a little something in the process. If you don’t want to read, switch the book for a hookah. (This substitution works best in College-In-the-Woods.)

Play sports

Get a group of friends together and throw around a football. Tossing around a football or frisbee is a great way to spend some time in the sun and meet people from around your community. If you have the urge, there are also club teams that you can join. Tired of the typical soccer kicking or frisbee tossing? Try one of these Binghamton-made fall sports that I personally invented.

1. Sandwich Steal

Wait near the sandwich line in the dining hall, and when someone’s sandwich is done grilling, grab it before they do.

2).Tour Crashing

Look for a campus tour walking around the Brain and nonchalantly join the tour group. Make sure to ask the guide annoying questions such as, “What happened to our basketball team three years ago?” or, “Instead of walking through Newing, can our tour look at Dickinson instead?”

3. Fake Flyer Posting

Create a flyer for a GIM that will never happen and post it all around campus. “Star Trek Club GIM. There will be pizza. Spock costume required.”