If you can spare an hour or two this season, here are a few movie releases to look forward to and some to avoid.

“Drive” (Opening Sept. 16)

An ’80s-inspired thriller starring Ryan Gosling, “Drive” tells the story of a stuntman/driver who gets mixed up in some shady business. Sounds a little like our basketball team three years ago. The film won a bunch of awards at Cannes, and it’s one of the best reviewed movies of the year thus far. Plus, it features ’80s music.

Verdict: See it, but not if you’re an idiot. It’s a smart thriller and definitely an acquired taste.

“Moneyball” (Opening Sept. 23)

What looks like this season’s biggest movie, “Moneyball” follows Oakland A’s manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt), who uses computer software to select players. With co-stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Jonah Hill and a script written by Aaron Sorkin (you know, the guy who wrote the Facebook movie), you can’t go wrong.

Verdict: See it. It’s based on real life and it’s about sports. Just when you thought all you needed for sports-related entertainment around here was the Binghamton Mets.

“50/50” (Sept. 30)

This season’s Apatow-esque comedy is the account of 27-year-old Adam’s cancer diagnosis, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and how he and his friend (Seth Rogen) deal with his 50-percent chance of living. You’re probably thinking, cancer? Comedy? Offensive? Here’s how I would expect the script to go:

Seth Rogen: “Tumor has it, you have cancer!”

Joseph Gordon-Levitt: “So does my mom, and cyst-er!”

Verdict: See it if you love the “Bridesmaids,” “Superbad”-type movies. However, it may be a little heavier than your average punched-in-the-nuts comedy. I mean, Gordon-Levitt is going all “V for Vendetta” with his bald head.

“Real Steel” (Oct. 7)

Set in the future, Hugh Jackman plays a boxing promoter in a world where robot-boxing is a huge sport. Cool idea, I would agree. Sadly, the film is produced by Disney, which makes me worry the movie will be more of a sentimental “Transformers 4” than an “Avatar” or an “Iron Man.”

Verdict: Probably fail, but maybe the reviews will be different. But, with a budget of $80 million, seeing this movie for $5 on a Tuesday in Vestal is a real steal. (Get it?)

“Paranormal Activity 3” (Oct. 28)

By now everyone should be sick of Hollywood cranking out sequels and threequels. What’s next, “Human Centipede 2”? If you don’t know, “Paranormal Activity” is a documentary-style horror series about a family and the demon that haunts them. The first film was independent, but got picked up post-production. And now here we are; the multi-million dollar threequel.

Verdict: Fail. Someone better have teeth in an unexpected place, or else forget it.