Kevin Sussy/Photography Editor Musician and former Bearcat Mr. Reed performs at Shindig at the Fountain. Sponsored by Campus Activities, Shindig at the Fountain featured live music, amusements rides and giveaways.

New freshmen and returning students alike were treated to a night of music, rides and fun at Binghamton University’s fourth annual “Shindig at the Fountain.”

Appropriately placed by the fountain in front of Glenn G. Bartle Library, this nighttime Welcome Week event was an opportunity for students to get their know their brand-new classmates.

The event featured New York City-based hip hop and soul artist, Mr. Reed, as well as his fully stocked band, which utilized backups like a keyboard, saxophone, bongo drums and extra vocals. The show started out with a simple beat that grew into a much bigger sound, ultimately exploding into the full act that is Mr. Reed.

The energetic act entertained the crowd while food vendors served treats like lemonade and funnel cake. Carnival rides such as a carousel and a ferris wheel illuminated the night as the band played on. Additionally, light-up bracelets and carabiners were given out to attendees.

The headlining artist known as Mr. Reed, whose real name is Jesse Nathaniel Reed, was an active member of the BU community as he was a student here in the mid 2000s. During his time as a Bearcat, he was a winner in the Late Nite Binghamton battle of the band competition and served as the vice president of multicultural affairs.

As a professional performer, Mr. Reed has been on “America’s Got Talent” and has toured worldwide.

His love for his former stomping ground was apparent during the show, with consistent shoutouts to local organizations, places and institutions such as the Black Student Union, Hillel, The Rathskeller Pub and BU’s Off Campus College Transport.

Mr. Reed also discussed how many of the songs he was performing he wrote on this campus during his time here.

Reed’s clear nostalgia themed the night, along with some advice for the freshman class. In both his words and his lyrics, Reed discussed “appreciating diversity” and neighborly love, among other topics. Appropriately for a Welcome Week event, one song repeatedly had the line “May we be friends” in it.

“I think the music is good and the food is good too,” said Aida Gning, an undeclared freshman.

Gning expressed that events like these truly bring a feeling of a “warm welcome.”

“It makes the students more comfortable with this campus,” Gning said.