Photo Provided by AP Exchange

Royalty will be coming to Binghamton University on April 4 when Queen Latifah comes to speak at the Osterhout Concert Theater.

Queen Latifah, born Dana Owens, is a musician, actress, producer and talk show host. She has starred in movies such as the 2007 adaptation of “Hairspray,” the 2003 movie “Bringing Down The House” and the 2004 film “Taxi.” The Grammy-Award winner is largely regarded for her beginnings as a hip-hop artist. She has also received numerous other accolades, such as two Screen Actors Guild Awards, an Emmy and a BET Award.

This year, the Black Student Union (BSU), the Student Association and other student groups were asked who they would like to see speak the most, and Queen Latifah was a name that quickly showed promise. It will follow in the steps of a similar event from last spring, in which Spike Lee spoke after being invited to campus by BSU and Campus Activities.

The Osterhout Concert Theater will provide for an “intimate” setting for the talk, supporting an audience of 1,100 viewers. Attendees will be able to watch an hour-long moderated discussion chaired by Jazell Johnson, the assistant director of case management and budgeting from the Dean of Students office. Latifah will be discussing her career in the entertainment industry, as well as her life as a black woman in the business. After the first hour, the discussion will open up to the general audience for a 30-minute Q&A session.

Campus Activities has been working on bringing Queen Latifah to speak at BU for four months, and hopes that this kind of speech can become an annual event with each spring semester.

Though some students conveyed indifference over the celebrity coming to campus, many expressed excitement for the upcoming event.

“I’m excited to see Queen Latifah — I’ve loved her films,” said Brian Neggie, an undeclared freshman. “She’s the most famous person to come to campus since we’ve been at Binghamton.”

Other students felt that as the speech will happen right after Women’s History Month, Queen Latifah will be even more influential to the students who attend.

“I really feel like [this event] will be such an inspiration to women on campus — especially black women,” said Ajayi Anthony, a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering.

A free ticket will be available for each student with their BU ID, and will become available at the Anderson Center box office this Monday at noon.