Illustration by Elizabeth Manning

As midterms rapidly approach, Binghamton University students from Hinman College to Hillside Community are hitting the books to prepare. With all the students swarming the various study locations of Glenn G. Bartle Library, this can make it difficult to find the perfect location to cram. Pipe Dream is here to help with a list of optimal places for maximizing your study session.

Fine Arts Collection, commonly referred to as “The Red Room”

Located right past the Newcomb Reading Room, the “Red Room” is actually a great place to study. Despite looking like the set of a ’90s TV show with its fuzzy red carpeting and wooden book shelves, the spot has its merits. During most study hours, the “Red Room” is quiet, with cubicles almost always available and the low lighting setting the tone for a nice, relaxing study session. If you are using a laptop, you may want to study elsewhere, as the power outlets are rare and in inconvenient places and, although available, the wooden cubicles can feel uncomfortable and cramped.

North Reading Room, commonly referred to as “The White Room”

The high-intensity fluorescent lighting of this study area will surely shock you awake from your post-Parade Day comatose. Located on the second floor of the library, the best part of this room is the comfortable and spacious desks with double power outlets, as well as an outdated, but sometimes useful, USB-like plug in. Another advantage is the extremely low level of noise and distractions. If you decide that this room is perfect for you, make sure to get here before the peak hours of noon to 5 p.m., since these desks are always in high demand.

Arabic Room

Located on the second floor near the bathrooms and elevator, the Arabic Room is an often overlooked and great alternative study lounge during busy library hours. Despite evoking memories of a trip to your grandmother’s house with its drab decor and beige carpeting, this study area almost always has desks available and is a relaxing, quiet place to review material for your tests. This room is for those who want to study while surrounded by oversized books while sitting on cool, “retro” furniture. Although it’s quiet, outlets are sparse, so steer clear if your computer is at six percent.

Hermann Miller Public Office Space

A recently implemented two-seater work desk located in the hallway outside of the Arabic Room, this space is perfect if you are looking to work with a partner, since you can talk face-to-face and use a whiteboard for brainstorming ideas. USB and power outlets are also built into the work desk, and the seating is ridiculously comfortable. If you are lucky enough to come across this desk unoccupied, take a seat, pretend you’re in an Ikea catalog and get to work.

Government Documents Secret Hideaway

If you walk through the north end of the Pods you will spot a room in the corner with a sign entitled “Government Documents.” In the diagonal corner of the room is an inconspicuous desk. This comfortable and spacious workspace is kind of like a less-glamorous bat cave for the desperate college student. It provides for a completely quiet and cohesive study experience, has eight power outlets and on top of all of that, has a garbage at your disposal. And if mid-study session you start thinking to yourself, “I wonder what the air quality released from the National Air Sampling Network was like in 1966?” all of that information can be accessed nearby in the “Government Documents Library Stack.”