Photo Provided by AP Exchange

On Friday, February 26, “Fuller House” — a revival of the ’90s hit “Full House” — premiered on Netflix. “Full House,” which aired on ABC from 1987-1995, followed a widowed father who enlists the help of both his brother-in-law and his best friend to raise his three daughters. While the anticipation for the reboot was great, the 13-episode series doesn’t live up to the hype.

In August 2014, reports circulated that Warner Bros. was considering a revival. In April 2015, John Stamos confirmed the rumors on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and filming on the project began in July.

“Fuller House” — which was written and produced by “Full House” creator Jeff Franklin — revolves around the Tanner children, now all grown up. In the first episode, viewers learn that DJ Tanner-Fuller is now a widowed veterinarian with three boys, struggling to keep it all together. However, sister Stephanie and old friend Kimmy Gibbler make the decision to move in with DJ and help her raise the three boys — truly reminiscent of its predecessor’s beginnings.

“Full House” stars John Stamos, Bob Saget and Dave Coulier barely make the cut in the series. The show ships them off to live their post-parenting lives elsewhere. Danny moves to Los Angeles with Uncle Jesse and Becky, and Uncle Joey goes off to Vegas. Besides a few scattered appearances by each, the show doesn’t circulate around them. Instead, the show mirrors the plot of the original show, in which three people are coming together to raise three children.

The episodes start with the original theme song, remixed by Carly Rae Jepsen, with pictures of the cast then and now. But the reboot is something that its ancestor never was. It is a try-hard, almost Disney Channel-type version of the show. It’s the kind of show you put on when you’re trying to fall asleep, or while doing your homework and just need some background noise.

The idea behind this reboot is extremely thoughtful and nostalgic, but its execution is poor and stale. The lines are forced and awkward, and although the characters are meant to be the same, the magic that the original show had is gone.

And, of course, it’s unfortunate that the sassy star of the show, Michelle Tanner — played by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen — didn’t make it back. The Olsen twins are currently running two successful clothing lines, Elizabeth & James and The Row. The “Fuller House” characters passive-aggressively reference this by directly addressing their absence and staring into the camera, which makes for an uncomfortable moment for the viewers.

The first episode was, of course, sentimental and familiar, as the actors parallel the old series, sending the live studio audience into loud laughter. As each episode goes on, however, it just becomes cheesy.

It’s not entirely clear who the show’s intended audience is. Is it a younger generations’ version of “Full House,” or is the reboot meant for former fans of the show? Like the more successful spin-off “Girl Meets World” — a follow-up to “Boy Meets World” featuring original cast members — the show’s main challenge is to find a balance between appealing to fans of the original and today’s younger generation. However, unlike “Girl Meets World,” “Fuller House” fails to stand on its own.

As far as revivals go, “Fuller House” is definitely not on the top charts. Yes, it’s something to put on to pass the time, but it’s not worth wasting eight hours following the tribulations of childhood stars all grown up.