Photo Provided by Parlophone

With the release of their seventh studio album, “A Head Full of Dreams,” Coldplay brings bursts of color and splashes of happiness back into their sound after their slow-moving sixth album “Ghost Stories.” And though many Coldplay fans believe their change in style in recent years is not exactly for the better, “A Head Full of Dreams” might just prove that the shift from rock to pop isn’t for the worse, either.

The album starts off with the title track, and you can immediately hear the shift in the band’s sound. “A Head Full of Dreams” is reminiscent of their “Mylo Xyloto” single “Charlie Brown,” because of their shared high energy, feel-good instrumentals and a subtle enthusiasm that could inspire even the laziest people on earth to go out and make the most of their lives. The song is followed up by “Birds,” which also boasts an uplifting sound, but with a more relaxed and laid-back vibe. With an enchanting guitar riff and some infectious drums, “Birds” will have you tapping your foot or bobbing your head without even noticing.

Another vibrant song is the album’s lead single, “Adventure of a Lifetime,” released in early November. The song features a mesmerizing opening riff — with a serious disco influence uncharacteristic of Coldplay — and Chris Martin and company shouting at full voice how he feels “alive again.” “Adventure of a Lifetime” is a standout.

And while Coldplay is a big name in its own right, the record features a number of collaborations and featured artists. Beyoncé offers backing vocals on the R&B influenced “Hymn for the Weekend.” It has a loud, anthemic chorus and killer harmonies, though it seems almost like a tease only hearing minimal moments of Beyoncé’s incredible voice. “Habits” singer Tove Lo also offers her vocals on the song “Fun,” but the collaboration is not nearly as exciting. Its forgettable melody makes it one of the album’s weaker tracks.

The greatest collaboration by far, though, is “Everglow,” which features backing vocals from lead singer Chris Martin’s ex-wife Gwyneth Paltrow. In this piano-driven ballad, reminiscent of the band’s well-known single “The Scientist,” Martin reflects on his marriage to Paltrow and how, despite the divorce, the relationship will stay with him for a long time. “Everglow” showcases what may be Martin’s best vocals and most touching lyrics on the album, as well as a melody that stays with you for hours — if not days — after listening.

The record comes to an end with the almost seven-minute long track, “Up&Up.” The chorus brings an uplifting feeling of resolution, with Martin and a choral ensemble singing that they’re “going to get it together and go up and up and up.”

It is undeniable that Coldplay is no longer what they were back in their “A Rush of Blood to the Head” days. They’ve now delved into a more synth-pop and electro-rock sound that would have been impossible to imagine on any of their older, alternative, piano-rock albums. Yet the shift from the quiet, almost unconfident sound of the “Ghost Stories” to the vivid and optimistic mood of “A Head Full of Dreams” makes it seem as if Coldplay have finally determined which direction their music is heading. With an upbeat, fast-paced and all-around energetic and genuine sentiments, it seems unlikely that you can come away from listening to this record without feeling a little more inspired.