Photo Provided by Columbia Records

Just in time for sweater weather season, California-based band The Neighbourhood released its second album, “Wiped Out!”

This effort is a follow-up to the band’s debut LP “I Love You.” Riding off their previous success, the band seems to be sticking to its atmospheric, subtly angsty sound and amplifying it with a darker tone.

Starting with “A Moment of Silence,” the album wastes no time bringing out this new heavy side, as the song literally consists of thirty seconds of complete silence.

From this silence, The Neighbourhood bring the mood back with “Prey.” That said, it starts off with way more promise than it delivers. The opening guitar sounds like the beginning of your next favorite song, but then the words start, along with the generic feel of the whole ordeal. We love the line “I feel like prey, I feel like praying.” Clever. Though the song isn’t catchy or memorable enough to get stuck in your head for weeks on end, it’s at the very least the start of some promising word play.

The title track “Wiped Out!” is over six minutes long. Although the length is unnecessary, it picks up after around two minutes. If you’re willing to wait it out, then you’ll be treated to an instrumental section, which may be one of the best moments on the record. At the four-minute mark, the instruments — including the sounds of sirens — build up to a climax, redeeming the song as one of the standouts, despite its less-than-outstanding first few minutes.

If you’re looking for a slower track, “The Beach” is a must-hear. Throughout most of the album, Rutherford doesn’t showcase his vocal range — opting to sing within an octave or two — but the chorus of this song features him straying from this pattern. While he doesn’t do this often, the higher notes strengthen the meaning of the lyrics. The song is slow and sultry, and follows a beat that sets up some serious mood music. If hooking up to Ignition (Remix) is too mainstream for you, opt for this instead.

The album closes out with it’s top single, “R.I.P 2 My Youth,” and on first listen, it brings out years of angsty feelings that you’ve been suppressing for Patrick Stump. Sure that’s nice, but take a second listen if you want the full lyrical experience. The Neighbourhood is not shying away from anything here; With words like “Tell my sister don’t cry and don’t be sad. I’m in Paradise with Dad,” lead singer Jesse Rutherford has a story to tell, and he will tell it.

The Neighbourhood doesn’t abandon its unique sound in “Wiped Out!” — they build upon it. And for most of the tracks on their new record it works. Perhaps even better than their first one, the new release proves that The Neighbourhood isn’t afraid of losing people’s interests, and that they aren’t writing to impress, but instead to satisfy themselves. Luckily for them, this album will leave many fans satisfied as well.