Sarah Simone/Contributing Photographer

For Niki Striss, the business of selling costumes was never the plan. But in 1978, with no store, Niki bought $17,000 worth of them and started Showtime Costumes.

“I started from scratch,” Niki Striss said. “No one taught me, no one told me, no one was willing to help.”

The first fuel to the flame was many years ago, when her husband Ronnie was in a band and Niki had to buy all of the outfits and equipment. When the band folded after five years, she was left with all of their Vegas-style costumes. This, however, was just the beginning. One day the couple traveled to New York City and went to a toy show that included costume merchants.

“When I saw the costumes, something happened to me,” Striss said. “I just bought and bought and bought with nothing in the bank.”

When they came back to Binghamton, Ronnie found a dinky store in Hillcrest up for rent at $90 a month, and Showtime Costumes was born.

Now, many years later, the carefree, fun-loving spirit that started the shop remains alive and well within. Having moved from its original Hillcrest location 25 years ago, Showtime Costumes is located in a 23-room Victorian-style home at 142 Main Street in Downtown Binghamton. Upon opening the giant wooden door, you are immediately greeted by two eight-foot-tall figures — Frankenstein and a witch — as well as a fully trimmed Christmas tree. With the “Solid Gold Oldies” radio playing as you score through the thousands of costumes ranging from southern belles to sexy cavewomen, you can’t help but feel that you’re in a quirky, never-ending time warp.

While the store itself is magnificent, the true heart lies in its colorful co-owner. A boisterous woman in her late 60s, Striss’ sharp tongue and quick wit are a part of the experience when you shop at Showtime. A customer came in and tried to bargain down prices with her his entire visit; when she asked whether or not he was married and he said no, she replied, “I’m not surprised, because you’re a jackass.”

Striss shared stories of her time as a professional singer and her celebrity encounters. She met Connie Francis, Duke Ellington and Nat King Cole, and has traveled all over the country. She even spoke about Nick Macioci (now known as Nick Massi) of the Four Seasons “de-cherrying” her brother’s girlfriend back when the music group first started in New Jersey and went by the name “El Maracos.”

Although it may not be as exciting as her youth, Striss is very happy with where she ended up. From BU students to the entire Binghamton Senators team, Showtime Costumes has been a fun place for people to shop for decades, and it holds a lot of memories. In 2014, The History Channel even taped an episode of “American Pickers,” featuring their collections.

“Last year all the students came here, and it was wonderful,” Striss said. “I couldn’t believe it. Usually they trash the place you know, but not that year. They were good.”

But after years of service, the curtains may soon close on this community gem. Striss loves the costume shop and hates to know that her time there may be coming to an end. The house is up for sale, and many of her big ticket costumes are on eBay and Craigslist.

As this chapter in her life ends, she plans to pursue other interests. She and Ronnie have another shop in a barn full of antique toys and trains, and will dedicate more of their time there. But if the house on Main St. doesn’t sell by January 1, she plans to replace her current inventory with her collection of antiques and vintage clothing.

“I’ve got tons and tons and tons of quality vintage clothing,” Striss said. “I mean fabulous stuff from the ’20s to present — except for the ’80s, I don’t know what the ’80s were … I just know it was sloppy.”

And no matter what she sells, or where, one thing is certain: Striss’ love for the trade is staying put.

“Thirty-seven years in business,” Striss said. “That’s a lot. I wanna stay here forever, but I can’t.”