Jules Forrest/Assistant Photo Editor

With auto-tuned music running rampant these days, it seems as though anyone can be a singer, but opera-trained vocalist freshman Kimberly Torres is the real deal.

When first meeting Kimberly, or Kim as most people know her, her “goofball” personality is obvious from the start. But according to friends like Mariel Flores, a freshman majoring in accounting, singing is something she takes seriously. Kim has been singing since the age of three and was fortunate enough to grow up in a musical family.

“My grandfather on my dad’s side was a known musician in Puerto Rico, and my dad is also a singer,” Kim said. “Almost my whole family on my mom’s side is musically talented. So I’ve always known that I wanted to sing.”

Originally from Queens, Kim set her sights on applying to New York City’s famous Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School, a school known for teaching visual and performing arts. Notable alumni include celebrities such as actor Robert DeNiro and singer Nicki Minaj. So it seemed unimaginable that Kim would wake up sick on the day of her audition.

“I couldn’t speak at all. I was freaking out all morning,” she said. “I didn’t talk to anyone because I didn’t want them to know I lost my voice. My mother would have killed me. Right before I walked in for the audition, I coughed up a whole bunch of phlegm. For five minutes, I miraculously had my whole voice back. When I finished the audition, my voice was completely gone again. It was truly the biggest miracle for me.”

And that bit of luck, along with her clear talent, granted her acceptance into this exclusive school. In retrospect, Kim acknowledges that LaGuardia taught her everything she needs to know as a singer. Before attending, she did not have enough confidence to sing in public and now feels the opposite.

As a current student in Binghamton University, she is taking regular classes and a vocal class to help dive into her music major. She also takes private voice lessons which she finds beneficial.

“I personally like private voice lessons more than the group classes,” she said. “There’s just something about being one-on-one with a teacher that helps me learn better. The only thing that sucks about it is that you have to be on your game every week since it’s only you and them. It’s kind of intimidating, but it really helps discipline you.”

Recently, Kim was chosen as one of only a few undergraduate students to perform at the Thursday Mid-Day Concert, a vocal recital regularly put on by the music department in the Casadesus Recital Hall on campus. Dressed in a white dress and black heels, Kim showed off her operatic talents to a small but lucky group of people.

“I can’t even explain how intimidating it was to sing in the same concert as graduate students,” she said. “They are way more experienced than I am and I was afraid of being compared to them, but it all turned out OK. I sang my best and hopefully I’ll reach their level soon.”

Kim has also been asked to sing the National Anthem at a men’s basketball game on Dec. 6. She feels excited and nervous, but lucky that her family will be driving up from New York City to share the moment, and watch a college basketball game for the first time.

While starting college can be intimidating, Kim is surrounded with support. Her roommate, Linda Cruz, a freshman majoring in psychology, sees nothing but success for Kim ahead.

“Kim is still really down to earth and is determined to stay that way when she becomes a professional singer,” Linda said. “She sings because she is passionate about music, not to make money. She even talks about having free concerts once she becomes a professional artist.”

Linda also points out how Kim’s personality intertwines with her singing.

“She is really funny and can always make a person laugh no matter what,” Linda said. “She became one of my closest friends this year. When Kim sings on stage, it’s different from the person I know on campus in the sense that she’s always fun and carefree. On stage, she becomes whatever song she’s performing. It truly illustrates her passion for music.”

Looking ahead, Kim is torn between pursuing classical or popular music. She also plays guitar and piano and writes her own music, and hopes to start a band with other serious musicians.

“I guess that’s what I would love to see myself doing in the next couple years: creating music and performing it with a band,” Kim said. “That would be awesome.”