John Babich/Pipe Dream Photographer Pictured, left to right: Daniel Hart, Keaton Daley, Garrett Sklar, Karl Bernhardsen and Daniel Muller play Cosmic Encounter.

For some, the words “board game” only evoke imagery of Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land. Yet, unbeknownst to them, there is an entire culture of people who thrive on the excitement of more adult games. Emerging from “nerd culture,” strategy board games are making their way into mainstream consciousness, and for good reason; they can be incredibly fun. If you’re a newcomer, however, the whole thing can be intimidating. Here are just a few game recommendations for the introductory player.

If you want a fun party game, Avalon is a game of social deduction in which the loyal servants of King Arthur must go on a series of quests. Playable by up to 10 people, participants will have to figure out who among them might be an evil minion of Mordred. Players are secretly given one of these two roles and must choose a certain number of accomplices to accompany them on a quest. Completing each mission becomes difficult, as each person can anonymously play a “success” or “fail” card. The evil players are aware of who their teammates are, but the good players have only their suspicions to guide them in who to choose for the mission. You’ll have to either defend your innocence or lie through your teeth in order to have a chance to help your team.

Lies and betrayal don’t come easily to some people, so it’s good to have alternative styles of games. Ask yourself this: have you ever wanted to build a railroad from Edinburgh to Constantinople, but just didn’t have the means? If so, Ticket to Ride: Europe may be the game for you. Players are dealt a variety of routes across Europe at the turn of the 20th century, and are tasked with completing them by playing colored cards corresponding to the board. Suited for two to five players, Ticket to Ride: Europe is a relatively noncompetitive game and focuses more on expanding one’s own railroad lines than it does direct player interaction. After an evening of playing more intense games and destroying friendships, you may just want to play with some trains. Besides, how else will the people of Budapest reach Madrid? The future of industrialized Europe is in your hands.

If competitiveness is in fact your thing, you’ll probably enjoy Cosmic Encounter. This game is a perfect example of why board games are reaching a wider range of people; it involves mechanics that make the game extremely competitive, creating aggressive and emotional gameplay.

Players act as different races of alien life trying to colonize each other’s planets. Each race comes with a special power or ability, which gives you a unique advantage over other players. Randomly drawn from a deck, a player is chosen to be attacked, and those not involved in the encounter are given the opportunity to ally with the offensive or defensive side. Varying rewards and consequences encourage alliances to form — but do not mistake an ally for a trustworthy friend. Cosmic Encounter almost forces you to operate based on self-interest and gives you plenty of opportunity to screw other players over. More than one player can win if they ally together, and each acquire a winning number of foreign colonies in tandem.

These few games are just the tip of the iceberg, so get in-the-know before you are left behind.