Photo Illustration by Neil Seejoor/Contributing Photographer

During the chaos that is move-in weekend, many of us neglect one of the most important steps in setting up our new homes: decorating. It’s easy enough to tape up a few posters and call it a day, but the right decor can make the difference between a rest stop between classes and a place to call home. Whether it’s your first time on campus or you’ve just moved into your first apartment, decorating your space is essential to feeling like you’re at home.

If you’re looking for art for your walls or some extra furniture for your suite or living room, Goodwill and Salvation Army are excellent places to start. You can find anything from quirky, abstract paintings to cross-stitch grandma sentiments for cheap, and with one-of-a-kind finds, no one else’s room will look quite like yours. If irony is your thing, then this is the place to go. Who doesn’t love a giveaway pint glass from a bar mitzvah? If dorm furniture just isn’t cutting it, pick up some extra chairs or an end table to change it up. You can get a solid desk from the Salvation Army for about $30 — we’ve seen it happen. You can get to Goodwill by bus if you don’t have a car.

The lack of good lighting in some residence halls (cough, College-in-the-Woods, cough) can be a bummer, especially once winter comes. You can often find string lights in the seasonal or clearance section of Target or Walmart, which add an instant cozy effect to any room. If you’re not into the holiday vibe, try paper lanterns as an alternative. If you live on campus, make sure to hang your lights at least 18 inches from the ceiling so you don’t get any fire code violations.

If you’re in a suite or apartment, taking up space on blank walls can be a challenge. Tapestries are great for this, but they can be expensive. Plus, if you’re living on campus, you’ll have to get it fireproofed, which is expensive. If you’re not down for that commitment, a large whiteboard or chalkboard is great for common room decor. They’re not just for communicating with roommates; visitors can doodle and sign it, which will keep your space dynamic. Pick up markers and chalk in a bunch of colors and go crazy. If you’re feeling extra crafty, you can purchase chalkboard paint at AC Moore or Michaels and turn just about anything into a canvas for your chalk masterpieces. PSA: don’t do this in your dorm, or else you’ll definitely get fined.

For those who enjoy being constantly surrounded by photos of yourself and others, head to CVS to print out pictures. With a little bit of adhesive, these can fill up some wall space with pieces of your home life. Not only will you feel surrounded by your friends and family, anyone that walks into your room will automatically think that you’re incredibly popular.

With a little creativity, transforming your dorm room or apartment into a home is easy. Channel your inner interior designer, because once the Binghamton winter hits, you won’t want to leave your perfectly decorated home.